Festival at the Liacouras

Comedy and music come together this Sunday as the Liacouras Center presents some of today’s best up-and-coming comedians alongside established musical artists for a night of premier entertainment. The Crown Royal Comedy Soul Festival arrives

Comedy and music come together this Sunday as the Liacouras Center presents some of today’s best up-and-coming comedians alongside established musical artists for a night of premier entertainment.

The Crown Royal Comedy Soul Festival arrives Dec. 7. The critically acclaimed and much adored funk group Earth, Wind & Fire will headline the musical performance section of the show.

With recognizable hits such as “September” and “Shining Star,” the group is still going strong after more than three decades in the music business.

Joining EWF in the musical aspect of the festival will be legendary singers, The Isley Brothers. Scoring their first top-20 hit back in 1962 with “Twist and Shout,” they have been steadily recording and touring ever since.

If these giants of music aren’t enough, the Crown Royal Comedy Soul Festival will offer the Temple community the opportunity to see some of the most respected and successful black comedians of the past decade.

Bruce Bruce, the larger-than-life comedian, famous for his great improv and raucous brand of humor, has earned himself the title, “Mayor of Comedy.” Amongst other things, Bruce prides himself on his adult brand of humor that doesn’t require profanity to get a good laugh.

Rickey Smiley, the host of the 2000 season of BET’s ComicView, is another comedian joining the tour. Smiley has been honing his down-home brand of southern humor for more than 12 years on the comedy circuit.

Rounding out the comedy portion of the show is Earthquake, a comedian just beginning to make the transition from urban popularity to the mainstream.

Adele Givens, a brilliant comedienne who has appeared in blockbuster movies, comedy tours and television shows, can be recognized from Def Comedy Jam or The Players Club.

If not, then you most certainly will remember Givens from her numerous roles on television shows like Martin, The Parkers and The Hughleys.

These great comedians combine their years of experience and talent to give a night of laughs for all to enjoy. The musical talents of two of the most respected and well-liked black bands of all time will add not only more entertainment, but a different dimension to the show.

The Crown Royal Comedy Soul Tour just began a few months ago, and although the idea seems revolutionary, it came from something simple.

Walter Latham, a well-respected promoter of comedy shows, decided to give audiences the ultimate entertainment experience. “I liken this event to the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans,” he said. “The difference is that this festival will travel to the fans.”

Rather than forcing audiences to travel to see the performers they love and admire, Latham is bringing the show to them, in 20 of the country’s largest cities.

The three hour extravaganza of old-school R&B and fresh brand of comedy hits up Temple Dec. 7 with a 7 p.m. show. Tickets, ranging from $45 to $75, are available through the Liacouras Center Box Office, or through the Ticketmaster Web site at www.ticketmaster.com.

The ingenious blend of music and comedy is sure to give audiences the once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing their favorite bands and comedians on the same stage.

Join the rest of Philadelphia in enjoying the one-of-a-kind show this Sunday.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu