Few facts released in believed suicide

Female student dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound just before the holiday.

A female student is dead after an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on Nov. 20.

Temple police responded to the Liacouras Center garage around 5:20 p.m. and found a female student with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on the fourth floor. Deputy Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said the student was pronounced dead at the scene and police recovered a gun.

A TU Alert was issued at 6:03 p.m., and a follow-up alert was sent at 6:29 p.m. with additional information.

Acting President Richard Englert sent an email to the Temple community the day after and said the university is not releasing the name of the student out of respect for her family.

“This is a terrible tragedy for all involved and most especially for the immediate family and loved ones of the deceased,” Englert said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the student’s family members, friends and all those affected by this tragedy. While we can never adequately explain why these things happen, we can support each other through the loss.”

Englert added at the end of the email that Tuttleman Counseling Services would be available to help anyone affected or “personally touched” by the incident.

Sean Carlin can be reached at sean.carlin@temple.edu or on Twitter @SeanCarlin84.