Field Hockey: Fortunes turn around

The field hockey team’s 1-0 win Saturday over Longwood marked the Owls’ third straight shutout victory. After losing six of its first seven games, the team has picked up some much-needed momentum as it heads

The field hockey team’s 1-0 win Saturday over Longwood marked the Owls’ third straight shutout victory. After losing six of its first seven games, the team has picked up some much-needed momentum as it heads into the second half of the season.

Earlier in the season, a few Owls said offensive inconsistency was an issue. After Saturday’s win, senior defender Katie Stevenson said the team has been working to play more as a team.

“The games that we did lose but played well in really cost us,” Stevenson said. “I think the more consistent we play, the better off we’ll be for [Atlantic Ten Conference games].”

The Owls (4-6) dominated offensively with 17 shots on goal. However, their continued inability to get on the scoreboard has left them to focus mainly on scoring for the remainder of the season. In three games prior to their current three-game win streak, the Owls managed just one goal.

“We still need to improve on executing our shots,” coach Amanda Janney said. “We’re getting a lot of scoring opportunities, but we’re just not getting our shots in right now.”

Despite the lack of scoring, the Owls drew 10 penalty corners against Longwood. One penalty resulted in a goal by junior defender Megan Hannahoe. Assisting in Hannahoe’s first career goal was sophomore Alli Lokey, who has four assists this season.

The Owls had several opportunities to score later in the game, including a breakaway shot from junior forward Lindsay Holman that went wide of the cage. The Owls were unable to add to their lead at any point in the game.

Janney said she would have liked to have seen more goals against Longwood, but said she was pleased with how the team played offensively.

Defensively, the Owls limited the Lancers (2-5) to only five shots. Freshman goalkeeper Erin Hanshue saved two of those shots to record her third shutout.

UP NEXT

The Owls face crosstown rival Drexel (6-3) today at 4 p.m. The Dragons have posted three shutouts this season. They held a four-game win streak until they dropped a 7-0 decision Sunday to No. 7 Old Dominion.

The Dragons are led by senior back Rachael Bloemker, who has four goals in eight games. On the defensive end, freshman goalie Colleen McAndrew has limited the opponent’s scoring opportunities, posting a 1.15 goals against average in eight appearances.

The Owls are anxious to play Drexel, Hanshue said.

“It’s a City 6 game, so it will definitely be intense but we’re ready for it,” Hanshue said, referring to the grouping of six colleges in Philadelphia.

Janney said she feels her team matches up well with the Dragons.

“[Drexel is] a tough team and very aggressive,” Janney said. “The entire game depends on if we can pass the ball or if we try to dribble through them since they are big defenders. But I think the matchup is going to end up in our favor.”

Melissa DiPento can be reached at mdipento@temple.edu.