Field Hockey hosts St. Joseph’s Saturday

Temple Field Hockey (5-5) defeated Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday to snap a five-game losing streak and get their overall record back to .500. The team takes on St. Joseph’s (5-4) this Saturday at Geasey Field

Temple Field Hockey (5-5) defeated Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday to snap a five-game losing streak and get their overall record back to .500.

The team takes on St. Joseph’s (5-4) this Saturday at Geasey Field at noon.

Last week, Penn State beat Temple 4-0 and the Owls lost to Old Dominion, the top-ranked team in the nation, 5-0.

“That was a really tough game,” said Temple head coach Lauren Fuchs. “We did not play very well, but I really think the team learned a lesson and will be better prepared next time.”

It must have been a long bus ride home from Norfolk, Va., but the team had a game the next day against Virginia Commonwealth.

“We had to put that one behind us,” said senior Virginia Gonzalez.

With Gonzalez leading the way, the Owls did just that. The midfielder scored all three of the teams goals as they defeated the Rams 3-1.

“We needed this one,” Gonzalez said, “now that the losing streak is behind us we can start worrying about one game instead of five.”

The team’s next opponent is St. Joseph’s who also ended a losing streak last Sunday. The Hawks had lost three straight before defeating Radford 1-0.

“We’ve just had some bad luck so far this year,” said St. Joseph’s coach Joan Broderick. “Out of the four games we lost, three of them have been by one goal. Anyone of those games could have gone our way.”

The Owls won the last meeting between these teams 3-1 at the end of last season. The Hawks are much improved this year and will be looking to upset the home team.

“We can’t overlook this team,” Fuchs said. “They play hard and are well coached. This sounds like a game that fans definitely don’t want to miss.”