Field hockey scores late to top Monmouth

Freshman forward Alyssa Delp scored the first goal of her collegiate career to lead the Owls to a 3-2 victory.

If last week’s overtime win didn’t prove to be enough drama for the field hockey team, its 3-2 victory against Monmouth Wednesday was full of late-game heroics.

With less than three minutes remaining in regulation, freshman forward Alyssa Delp scored the game winning goal off of an assist by sophomore forward Amber Youtz.

“[Youtz] was going hard on the baseline and when she looked up, I was just at the right place when she passed it to me,” Delp said.

It was Delp’s first goal on the college level.

Delp, a two-time All-State selection at Fleetwood High School, has started all four games for the Owls so far but until Wednesday had yet to score a goal.

“It definitely feels like a weight off my shoulders,” Delp said. “I kept coming so close every game and I just couldn’t get it off, and now finally I got a shot off and got the goal.”

Coach Amanda Janney said that the goal should help Delp’s confidence for the rest of the season.

“I’m happy that she scored because she’s a young talented player,” Janney said. “I’m actually really pleased that all three forwards scored, because it shows our versatility.”

With a game full of lead changes, the Owls weren’t able to take over until the final minutes.

Temple jumped out to an early lead against the Hawks, with Youtz scoring in the third minute of regulation.

It didn’t take long for Monmouth to respond with a goal of their own by sophomore forward Amanda Schoenfeld.

But the Owls broke the tie on a goal by junior forward Lauren Hunt in the 35th minute, helping carry momentum into the half.

The Hawks responded again in the second half though, with a goal by senior forward Michelle Pieczynski.

It all came down to the final minutes, with Delp stepping up and scoring the game winner.

Janney said that today’s win was good for the team, and it showed that her young team can respond to adversity.

“This is good for us to be able to respond to their goals, and still be able to play at a high level,” Janney said.

Temple will be hosting No. 8 Penn State at Geasey Field on Saturday, Sept. 8.

Colin Tansits can be reached at colin.tansits@temple.edu.