Field hockey team earns string of honors

The field hockey season may have ended earlier than the team wanted, but several Owls earned honors from the Atlantic Ten Conference. First-year coach Amanda Janney shared the A-10 Coach of the Year award with

The field hockey season may have ended earlier than the team wanted, but several Owls earned honors from the Atlantic Ten Conference.

First-year coach Amanda Janney shared the A-10 Coach of the Year award with Saint Louis’ Maira Whitehead. Six senior Owls also received various A-10 accolades.

Janney led Temple to its all-time best conference record (6-1) and to its first winning season since 1992, when the Owls finished with an 11-9 mark. The Owls overcame a 1-6 start to win seven of their last eight regular season games, en route to the second seed in the conference tournament.

Junior forward Lindsay Holman and sophomore midfielder Alli Lokey were awarded First Team All-Conference. They each finished the season with eight goals, which tied them for sixth-most in the A-10.

Senior defensemen Ashley Shepps and Katie Stevenson earned Second Team All-Conference honors. Shepps and Stevenson finished the season with seven and four defensive saves, respectively. Shepps’ 3.88 grade point average landed her a spot on the A-10 Academic All-Conference team, as well.

Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Erin Hanshue’s five shutouts and 1.65 goals-agaisnt-average secured her a spot on the conference’s All-Rookie team. Hanshue was also named an All-Conference honorable mention, along with senior forward Melissa Fritze, who completed the year with four goals.

– John Kopp