Film Festival off to a successful beginning

Friday kicked off the world premiere of Lightning Bug, a movie following the girlfriend of a horror movie fan who realizes the real danger is at home in Alabama. The all-star cast included Laura Prepon

Friday kicked off the world premiere of Lightning Bug, a movie following the girlfriend of a horror movie fan who realizes the real danger is at home in Alabama.

The all-star cast included Laura Prepon (That 70s Show), Hal Sparks (Queer as Folk), Bret Harrison (Grounded for Life) and Ashley Laurence of the Hellraiser movie series. Sparks, Harrison and Laurence attended the premiere.

Saturday was the day of awards. The Artistic Achievement award was dedicated to Mary-Louise Parker (Fried Green Tomatoes, Angels in America). Her new film, The Best Thief in the World, debuted after the award ceremony.

The TLA Phantasmagoria Award honored horror film director Tobe Cooper (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist). Cooper introduced his new film, The Toolbox Murders, after the award presentation.

Sunday celebrated the 30th anniversary of Cooper’s first great work, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with a commemorative screening.

This weekend also saw two sellout screenings of Super-Size Me, a documentary tracking the filmmaker who ate nothing but McDonald’s for 30 days to test their nutrition claims and the effect of fast food on the human body.

Of the 74 screenings this weekend, nearly 10 percent were sold out.

For more information on the Philadelphia Film Festival, visit their Web site at www.phillyfests.com.

Pooja Shah can be reached at pshah04@temple.edu