First Q&A with TSG invites chairpersons and representatives to speak

Temple Student Government held its first “question and answer” session at the conclusion of its meeting last Monday to increase communication between chairpersons and group representatives. TSG President Oscar Chow talked about adding a formal

Temple Student Government held its first “question and answer” session at the conclusion of its meeting last Monday to increase communication between chairpersons and group representatives.

TSG President Oscar Chow talked about adding a formal discussion time to meetings since the beginning of the semester.

“I really wanted to make a time for everyone to be able to bring up issues, debate certain topics and address some concerns,” Chow said.

Following his weekly report, Chow and other TSG officers fielded Temple-related questions.

Most of the questions were about SEPTA and how the possible Oct. 31 strike may affect Temple students.

Capt. Eileen Bradley of Campus Safety Services, said plans are already in place to have alternative modes of transportation readily available if members of Transport Workers Union Local 234 do not reach a contract agreement with SEPTA by the strike date.

“I’ve lived through a couple of SEPTA strikes,” Bradley said, adding that there will be “buses running up and down Broad Street [if needed].”

Several students said they were unable to apply for SEPTA’s University Pass Program because information about the deadline was not prominently featured on Temple’s Web site.

“The university has not done a good job of promoting certain things,” Chow said, adding that TSG is working with the administration to get SEPTA student riders a better rate.

Meanwhile, newly appointed University Resources Chair Ieshia Nelson said that her committee is working on evaluating the Ambler, Tyler and Health Sciences shuttles, along with the Owl Loop. She also talked about adding more laser printers to the computer labs, providing more amenities to commuter students and updating the interactive touch screen kiosks on campus with student organization announcements and information.

“This is a committee with a lot of things to do,” Nelson said. “So when you guys come to meetings, come ready to dive into everything that we have on the table.”

Community Services Chair Raquel Sandiford presented a lengthy list of upcoming events that TSG members can participate in, including the Philadelphia AIDS Walk this Sunday and Haunted Dorms on Oct. 28. All TSG community service events are open for public participation.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.