Five Duquesne basketball players shot after dance

Fellow Atlantic Ten Conference member Duquesne was struck by tragedy Sunday when five members of its men’s basketball team were shot on campus, ESPN.com reported. Two of the players were reportedly struck after attempting to

Fellow Atlantic Ten Conference member Duquesne was struck by tragedy Sunday when five members of its men’s basketball team were shot on campus, ESPN.com reported.

Two of the players were reportedly struck after attempting to calm a man who had been disruptive at a dance. Three other players rushed to aid their wounded teammates and were also shot.

As of early Monday three of the players were still hospitalized and one, Sam Ashaulo, was “fighting for his life,” according to ESPN.com.

Ashaulo, who was shot in the head, was listed in critical condition at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. As of Monday afternoon, the bullet had not been removed.

Stuard Baldonado, who suffered a shot to the abdomen, was in serious condition. Kojo Mensah, who was shot in his shoulder, was still being treated at Presbyterian Hospital, also in Pittsburgh.

Shawn James and Aaron Jackson were treated and released Sunday from Mercy Hospital.

James was shot in the foot, but no bones were broken. Jackson’s hand was grazed by a bullet.

First-year coach Ron Everhart told the “Pittsburgh Post-Gazette” the tragedy has been “very emotional for me, because I recruited these kids. It’s a very hard thing to deal with. I am very tired, but very concerned. My only concern right now is for the kids and their families.”

The gunman, who according to Duquesne President Charles Dougherty was not a student, is still being sought. Dougherty told ESPN.com that witnesses reported seeing two guns, and that six to 12 shots had been fired.

Witnesses could not confirm that both guns were fired, Dougherty said.

Many members of the Dukes basketball team had attended a Black Association Dance and were heading back to their dorms when the incident occurred, ESPN.com reported