Focus on Career Services

Ever wondered how Career Services could help you? Read on to find out. Temple University students generally have one goal, similar to every student across the nation, to someday land a great job. On Oct.

Ever wondered how Career Services could help you? Read on to find out.

Temple University students generally have one goal, similar to every student across the nation, to someday land a great job.

On Oct. 30, at the Liacourus Center, Career Development Services is hosting a career fair from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“This career fair is especially smart for upperclassmen, but it’s really for everyone,” explained Andrew Cronan,associate director for Career Development.

“There will not only be part-time job openings, but also companies looking for interns. These part-time internships could turn into full-time jobs, which is what we are striving to do. One of the most important aspects of the job market is to network and meet people.”

70 companies are expected to be in attendance.

“It really is for every type of major. There will be financial, government, sales, and marketing companies. The career fair has always been highly successful,” said Cronan.

Until recently, career fairs had been held in Mitten Hall, however due to a sharp increase in attendance, it was moved recently to the Liacourus Center to better accommodate the numbers that are expected for this event.

Job fairs are only the beginning of the services that Career Development has to offer.

Located in Mitten Hall, the department also offers four regularly scheduled workshops free to students.

Throughout the week, there are a Résumé Writing, Interview Technique, Networking and Career Choices Workshop for students.

Throughout the week there are also résumé critiques which allow students to get a better understanding of what companies need to see and do not want to see on résumés.

“The Career Choices Workshop was recently added for anyone still unsure of what to do with their major or for those who are still undecided,” explained Cronan.

“As for the other three workshops, we consider them ‘tools.'”

For those interested in a serious job after the completion of a degree, any one of these workshops is an excellent aid. Robert Legaty, a graduate of Temple, agrees.

Through their services he was able to obtain and internship with Morgan Stanley, which he hopes to make a permanent position.

According to Cronan, a reason for his services is to combat what he calls “Brain Drain.”

Cronan explains this as the mental rut students who have attended school and internships in one city seem to fall into, which can be a problem when they then move to a new location after school.

An annual post-graduate survey has found that in recent years, “Brain Drain” is becoming less of a concern.

Statistics have found that more and more Temple graduates are finding not only employment within their field of interest but also within the city.

So rather than subject yourself to “Brain Drain” head over to career services and make use of their workshops and fairs and take a step in the right direction.

The office can be found on the second floor of Mitten Hall at 1913 North Broad Street.

Appointments are not necessary.

Sarah Shaver can be reached at sarahsha@temple.edu