For Temple and higher education, Gov. Corbett proposes ‘drastic cuts’

A few hours after Gov. Tom Corbett released his budget proposing the state cut funding for state-related universities in half, Senior Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Ken Lawrence put things into perspective.

“The number that [Gov. Corbett] proposed restores appropriation to 1980 levels,” Lawrence said.

Though Lawrence said the university was prepared for a cut, he said 50 percent was “a drastic cut.”

The governor’s executive budget recommends Temple receive $82.487 million in appropriations for the 2011-2012 fiscal year and estimates money supply from the state will remain steady at that amount through 2016.

Last year, Temple received approximately $178.5 million in total state appropriation dollars.

Noting that this year’s budget process will be far different than last year’s, Lawrence said the governor’s budget proposal regarding higher education is clear.

“This would be the governor expressing that this is his policy, and it’s up to the legislatures to say during the [budget] process whether or not they agree,” Lawrence said.

Temple, Penn State University, the University of Pittsburgh and Lincoln University are not the only universities facing a large loss of state funding. Made up of 14 universities, the State System of Higher Education is set to lose more than $150 million in appropriations.

In a video address, President Ann Weaver Hart encouraged students to remain aware of issues affecting the state’s budget and to join Temple Advocates Legislative Outreach Network, also known as TALON.

“In the coming months, lawmakers must make difficult budget choices that will directly affect every student, faculty and staff member,” Hart said in the address. “That is why I am asking each and every one of you to take action and play a vital role in communicating with our elected officials about the importance of commonwealth support for Temple and higher education.”

For an expanded version of this article, pick up a March 15 copy of The Temple News after spring break.

Ashley Nguyen can be reached at ashley.nguyen@temple.edu.

4 Comments

1. Instead of cutting funding for higher education, why not give a percentage of every politician’s salary, as well as give up the vehicles that tax payers pay for? Oh wait, that would then affect their pocket and they can’t have that.

2. Students need to hold a meeting and start organizing on how to respond. It’s great to see TSG and others going to Harrisburg for a protest (couple weeks ago)– this should happen again and be much larger. The only thing politicians understand is Wisco-Cairo style pressure to do what’s right. Everything could be balanced by taxing the rich who got us into this crap economy in the first place, but they won’t do that without extreme pressure from students and working people. We should also get rallies going on Temple’s campus so we can get other students involved and aware of how this will directly affect them.

3. Matt, when you and your freebie-expecting pals come to protest at Temple, be sure that there will be counter-protesters standing in support of Corbett. Bring it on.