For the love or the money

So it’s that time of year again, when red is every girl’s favorite color and stocks for greeting card companies skyrocket. Tonight, when your loved one pulls out that “story of us” scrapbook they’ve worked

So it’s that time of year again, when red is every girl’s favorite color and stocks for greeting card
companies skyrocket. Tonight, when your loved one pulls out that “story of us” scrapbook they’ve worked on for months, don’t be caught off guard. Here are last minute date ideas to sweep your loved one off his or her feet.

A single red rose, $2.49,

7-Eleven, 1912 Liacouras Walk

On Valentine’s Day you can find a rose almost anywhere. If you’re running short on time you can even stop into the 7-Eleven on campus and pick one up in-between classes. Leave the rose in your refrigerator for guaranteed freshness.

Subway to center city, $5.20 (round trip for two)

While this is not the most romantic form of transportation, it is the cheapest and the fastest. Take the Broad Street Orange Line to the City Hall stop, the closest station to the other stops on the date.

Dinner at Le Creperie, 1722 Sansom St., $26 (tip included)

This casual French bistro is known for some of the best crepes in the city. You can order crepes filled with anything from smoked salmon, brie, zucchini, and basil ($13.75) to strawberries and nutella ($7.75).

Moonlight walk through Rittenhouse Square, free

After loading up on some great food, take a stroll through Rittenhouse Park. The park is only two blocks away from Le Creperie and has a great evening view of the city.

S’mores and hot chocolate at Cosi, 1720 Walnut St., $15 (tip included)

Located just off the square this is a spot where you can snuggle up and get “cosi”. Cosi offers the classic s’mores treat with at-your-table marshmallow roasting for two ($6.79). The s’mores go perfect with two large hot chocolates ($2.79 each).

TOTAL: $48.69A red rose and Valentine’s Day bear, $15

Meeting your date at the door with a flower and teddy bear will make him or her melt. Grab the rose ($2.49) on campus at 7-Eleven, but check out one of the off-campus Rite Aid stores to get the teddy bear ($9.99).

Subway to Center City, $5.20 (round trip for two)

Take the Broad Street Orange Line to the Walnut/Locust stop, the stop closest to the restaurant.

Sushi at Shiroi Hana, 222 15th St., between Walnut and Locust streets, $25

Shiroi Hana has a contemporary décor and is semi-romantic. The restaurant has been nominated for its sushi by City Search twice. Order five California rolls to share ($4 each) and miso soup ($1.50 for one bowl) for a dinner under $25. The wait staff is not overbearing, so you have plenty of time to talk.

Banana split at More Than Just Ice Cream, 1119 Locust St., $7.50

Known for monstrous desserts, it may be called More Than Just Ice Cream, but ice cream is definitely what you should order. The banana split ($7.50) is gigantic and delicious, absolutely big enough to share.

Disposable camera, $8

When you stop at Rite Aid to get your date a teddy bear, grab a disposable camera too. Your date will be thrilled to see that you want to remember this night as much as she does.

Cab ride to the Blue Cross River Rink , $15 (Tip Included)

Located at the intersection of Columbus Boulevard and Market Street, the walk would be a little too far. Treat your girl to a nice warm cab ride before going out on the ice.

Ice skating at Blue Cross RiverRink, Columbus Boulevard at Market Street, $18

The rink is open from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Admission is $6 and skate rental is $3. The night is entitled “Sweetheart Skate” and the ice will be painted red. Ladies will receive complimentary red roses while they last, so get there early!

TOTAL: $96.20A half-dozen red roses, $25

For a half-dozen red roses you’re going to have to go to a real flower shop. The cheapest flower shops in the city are arguably found on South Street. Head down to the South Street Florist at 418 South St.

Dinner at Swanky Bubbles, 10 S. Front St., $85

This Old City restaurant is one of a kind. The restaurant is a champagne and dinner bar – you can buy the champagne by the glass or by the bottle. The menu is arranged family style and portions are sharable. They serve a little bit of everything from Imperial Filet Mignon ($25) to Burmese Chicken Quesadillas ($9). Glasses of champagne range in price from $6 to $13 and have fun little twists like the “Blondie” (champagne, Stoli Vanil, and pineapple juice; $7). A little bubbly can go a long way.

Carriage ride through Old City, $50-$65 (half an hour)

For a night time carriage ride, reservations are suggested. A few companies offer carriage rides at night. Two recommended possibilities are the Philadelphia Trolley Works and Carriage Company (215) 389-TOUR or the Philadelphia Carriage Company (215) 922-6840.

Walk along the waterfront, free

Even though it’s cold outside, a walk along the waterfront can still be romantic.

Cab ride back to his or her place, $10

After a fabulous Valentine’s Day it’s time to snuggle up in a cab and head home.

Bubble bath and rose petals for a relaxing bath for two, $14

After all of your scheming and planning, unwind and relax in a tub filled for two. While you’re at the South Street Florist, grab an extra rose to pluck the petals off for the bath (single rose $5) Bath and Body Works at 1701 Walnut St. sells “Warm Vanilla Sugar Fragrant Body Care” bubble bath for $9 a bottle.

TOTAL: $184-$199

Amanda Reyes can be reached at amanda.reyes@temple.edu.