Forget the Monkees; Temple football game postponed

Saturday was supposed to be an easy win for the Temple football team. Instead, it will be a day for the football team to remember Tuesday’s tragic events. Temple’s game against the University of Connecticut

Saturday was supposed to be an easy win for the Temple football team. Instead, it will be a day for the football team to remember Tuesday’s tragic events.

Temple’s game against the University of Connecticut scheduled for noon at Franklin Field has been postponed along with the rest of the football games in the Big East. A post-game performance from the Monkees was also canceled.

Other Temple teams have games in question through the weekend.

Temple volleyball is scheduled to play in a tournament at the University of Maryland. The ACC, the conference Maryland plays in, canceled all of its athletic competition through Thursday. It was not known at press time whether the ACC would extend its ban through this weekend.

The Temple women’s soccer team is expected to play Virginia on Sunday at Temple Stadium. Field hockey’s game at Hofstra Friday in Hempstead, N.Y. is “real questionable,” according to an athletic department spokesman.

The Big East made their decision after a national teleconference between conference officials Wednesday.

Big East commissioner Michael Tranghese also announced that all Big East football teams will wear American flags on the back of their helmets for the remainder of the season.

The Atlantic-10, the conference Temple competes in most other sports, left the decision to cancel games up to each school.

“We understand that athletic competition is the furthest thing from anyone’s mind,” said A-10 commissioner Linda Bruno. “Since circumstances are different with each of the institutions which form the (conference)… it was decided that each of our institutions determine which is the best way to approach the resumption of our athletic schedules.”

Major league baseball canceled its games Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Questions over air travel, safety and large crowds people helped postpone the games.

UConn was scheduled to take a bus for its game against Temple. The game will be re-scheduled at a later date, according to the athletic department.

The NFL is expected to announce by Thursday afternoon whether or not they will cancel this weekend’s professional football games.

The league was criticized in 1963 when then commissioner Pete Rozelle didn’t cancel any games in the wake of the John F. Kennedy assassination.

In the college football world, many big games will probably be postponed Saturday. Miami, ranked first in the nation, had its football game against No. 13 Washington postponed with the Big East’s decision.

“We’re saddened and stunned by the tragedy that took place [Tuesday] and our deepest best wishes go out to the families of the victims,” said Miami coach Larry Coker. “We’re extremely disappointed we’re not going to be able to play the University of Washington this Saturday at the Orange Bowl.

The SEC has decided to let its events go on, including Saturday’s No. 8 Tennessee against No. 2 Florida football game.

“Each of our institutions has been personally touched by these events,” the league said in a statement. “The conference believes these events present a meaningful opportunity to bring our people together in a common expression of sympathy and mourning. An appropriate ceremony to express these sentiments will be held prior to each game.”

The league will donate $1,000,000 from ticket sales and television fees to a fund to assist the victims of Tuesday’s attacks.

Pittsburgh athletic director Steve Pederson said that he feels it is right to cancel his school’s scheduled game Saturday against the University of Alabama-Birmingham.

“This tragedy hit a nerve in every phase of our University and our athletic program,” he said. “Our thoughts, prayers and heartfelt support go out to the victims and their families. President George Bush needs the full focus and support of our nation. Competition in athletics is not appropriate at this time.”

Tranghese said that it is important to suspend this weekend’s games to reflect and mourn.

“The overwhelming feeling throughout our institutions is that we must move on with our lives, and terrorist actions will not stop us from doing that,” he said. “But the suspension of league competition through the weekend allows us an appropriate period of reflection and mourning.”