FORMER OWL READ TAKES ON HERO’S ROLE

A former Temple athlete added “hero” to his resume recently. Former Temple crew captain Jason Read was on his bicycle when he saw a young girl lying face down in a pool of water. Read,

A former Temple athlete added “hero” to his resume recently.

Former Temple crew captain Jason Read was on his bicycle when he saw a young girl lying face down in a pool of water. Read, who currently works as an emergency care specialist in Philadelphia, found the girl blue and unresponsive upon further investigation.

He immediately administered first aid and called the police. Medics soon arrived and assumed the girl’s care. Largely due to Read’s actions, the young girl recovered.

Golf honors

Temple freshman James Chan was honored as this week’s Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week.

Chan earned the award with his performance at last weekend’s Princeton Invitational, where he placed 23rd. He started the 36-hole tournament with a round of 76, and followed that with a career-best score of 72 for a season-best total score of 148.

Temple senior Chris Bartolacci also turned in a stellar performance at the Princeton Invitational, finishing fourth with a 36-hole score of 143.

Bartolacci’s second-round score of 68 was a personal best for him.

As a team, the Owls finished 10th of 18 squads at the Princeton Invitational.

Lacrosse update

The Temple women’s lacrosse team remains in a tie with Duquesne for first place in the A-10. The Owls have a 2-0 record so far in the league, having posted a 6-5 mark overall.

Temple recently suffered a tough setback, however, as the Owls fell to Princeton 15-11 on April 11. The Tigers are ranked third nationally.

Princeton peppered Temple’s junior goalkeeper, Sheena Oommen, with 44 shots. Oommen stopped 29 of them, but the Owls couldn’t muster enough offense to stave off defeat.

A-10 champions update

Out in Pittsburgh, the St. Bonaventure men’s tennis team posted a 4-2 victory over Massachusetts last weekend to capture the 2001 Atlantic 10 men’s tennis championship.

The crown earns the Bonnies an automatic berth in the NCAA men’s tennis championship.

Xavier beat George Washington 4-3 in the third-place match. Temple ended up eighth in the season’s final standings.

The A-10 will crown two more championship teams this coming weekend, in women’s tennis and men’s golf.

In women’s tennis, five-time team champion Virginia Tech will not be there to defend the title again, having jumped to the Big East Conference. Temple was the last champion before the reign of the Hokies. The Owls won the title in both 1994 and 1995.

In golf, Rhode Island will look to defend the title it claimed in both 1999 and 2000. Temple has won five total A-10 golf titles, the last coming in 1993.