Fun at the Fringe Festival

Not exactly standard theater, or the average music or poetry performance, the Philadelphia Fringe Festival is culmination of the above works and even more. From what begun five years ago when a few arts professionals

Not exactly standard theater, or the average music or poetry performance, the Philadelphia Fringe Festival is culmination of the above works and even more.

From what begun five years ago when a few arts professionals tried to build upon the success of ‘First Friday’s’, the festival has now evolved into an annual event attended by thousands from all over the world.

2001 marked Philadelphia Fringe Festival’s best year, as of yet, with the participation of 1100 artists and an attendance of over 35,000.

Philadelphia, like that of other cities which host annual fringe festivals, trace their roots back to the original Fringe Festival which took place in Edinburgh, Scotland 51 years ago.

Beginning with eight artists who were not invited to participate in the yearly Edinburgh Festival of the Arts, these artists created makeshift theaters directly outside or on the “fringe” of the larger festival.

Soon enough the fringe festival gained a following larger than other main festival.

In 2002, the Philadelphia Fringe Festival will host two U.S. theatre premieres , “Carmen Funebre” and “Cul-De-Sac,” both of which have received critical acclaim worldwide.

In addition to these two shows, countless other U.S. and world premieres of theater, dance, spoken word and music will be showcased throughout the 16-day festival.

For more information on the festival call 215.413.1318 or see their website at www.pafringe.org.

Thomas Walter can be reached at temple_ news.com