Georgia Tech hands Owls second straight loss

The women’s basketball team’s road woes continued with a 59-49 defeat by Georgia Tech in Atlanta Sunday. Temple (1-2) showcased its might by hanging with the Yellow Jackets (3-0) until late, but poor shooting and

The women’s basketball team’s road woes continued with a 59-49 defeat by Georgia Tech in Atlanta Sunday. Temple (1-2) showcased its might by hanging with the Yellow Jackets (3-0) until late, but poor shooting and foul trouble capped its second straight loss.

Senior Lady Comfort contributed her first double-double of the season with 18 points and 13 rebounds and senior Ashley Morris maintained her hot shooting streak with 19 points. The rest of the Owls sputtered, as the team shot just 37.8 percent from the field.

Georgia Tech kept the Owls at arm’s length most of the game, taking a 27-23 lead into halftime and refusing to relinquish it. The uphill battle was compounded as Comfort, junior Shenita Landry and junior Shanea Cotton each committed three fouls by the 12-minute mark of the second half. With the Owls’ 6-footers on the bench, the Yellow Jackets took control of the post and won the rebounding column, 36-34.

The Owls fly to the Virgin Islands for the Paradise Jam Tournament, where they will take on No. 10 Duke Friday and Purdue Saturday.

Anthony Stipa can be reached at anthony.stipa@temple.edu.