Getting busy over the break

The holidays leave many students wondering how to make use of their free time. After a hectic semester, the winter break is a welcome blessing. While some may have to work, others will be able

The holidays leave many students wondering how to make use of their free time.

After a hectic semester, the winter break is a welcome blessing. While some may have to work, others will be able to take advantage of extra free time.

Whether working or bumming around, some of these activities might be a great way to enjoy the much-needed and anticipated vacation.

For those who plan to stay in the area, head out to the Pocono mountains in Northeastern Pennsylvania for some wintry fun. There are many resorts and country inns to fit any budget.

The adventurous and spontaneous can enjoy skiing and snowboarding among various other lively activities. It is an easily accessible destination that students can take pleasure in for a day or more.

Philadelphia’s own Penn’s Landing is a hot spot on New Year’s Eve with amazing fireworks that light up the city. Grab a few friends and have a picnic while taking in the wonderful sights and sounds of the night.

For those who want to get out of Philadelphia, take a road trip with friends or visit New York City during New Year’s celebration at Times Square. If claustrophobia doesn’t set in, count yourself lucky to join thousands of revelers ringing in the New Year.

Those planning to stay overnight should try and book a hotel room as soon as possible. Remember, over 500,000 people go to Times Square on New Year’s Eve with only 12,500 hotel rooms in the area.

On a studious note, many juniors and seniors who decide they are heading off to graduate school could use the time to start preparing for the GREs, LSATs, MCATs and other pre-professional standardized tests.

These tests tend to be especially overwhelming, so an early start will help appease the process.

Those short on cash could always throw a small holiday party and catch up on all those great movies they missed while at school.

Spread some holiday joy and give back to your local community by participating in community services like helping out at homeless shelters or organizing food and clothing drives.

The Philadelphia Chapter of the American Red Cross, located at the corner of 23rd and Chestnut streets, offers many great ways to get involved.

Whatever winter break holds, make sure to have fun. We all know how the time flies.

Josephine Munis can be reached at jmunis@temple.edu