Goals, not weather, spoil game

Heavy rain, frigid temperatures and the wind could not keep the lacrosse team from playing its game against George Washington Sunday, but the Colonials stopped the Owls from continuing their Atlantic Ten Conference win streak.

The Owls blew two second-half leads to fall to George Washington, 7-6, at Geasey Field.

It was the first loss in the Atlantic Ten Conference this season for the Owls, who fell to 4-8 overall and 2-1 in the A-10.Despite the weather conditions, the Owls are not using it as an excuse for the loss.

“The weather definitely made for a sloppy game, but it wasn’t the factor in the game,” first-year coach Bonnie Rosen said.

Johna Capaldo’s pair of goals was a team high, raising her season goal total to nine. Katie Yori, Casey Cech, Kelly Yemm and Allison Frengs each tallied one goal apiece. Frengs also had an assist, as did Berkley Summerlin and Whitney Richards.

Temple goaltender Bridget McMullan contributed with four saves.This wasn’t enough as George Washington’s Taylor Donahue scored three goals, including the game-winner with 1:44 left to play.

The Owls jumped to an early 1-0 lead in the first 10 minutes of play. George Washington
then scored two straight goals, but the Owls responded by scoring two consecutive goals of their own, taking a 3-2 lead.The score at halftime was 3-3. Temple had leads of 4-3 and 6-5 in the second half before allowing GW to score twice in the last 5:30 of the game. This sealed the loss for the Owls in a game that featured a combined 42 turnovers and 24 fouls.

The Owls did not leave the game without
learning from their mistakes. They contend
that they’re looking ahead, Capaldo said.

“We can’t take any teams lightly and we can’t hold back,” Capaldo said. “We have to win the rest of our games. When you come off a loss like this, it makes you want to win the next game that you play.”

This mindset of the team can be contributed
to the amount of veteran players on the Owls’ roster. Of the 23 players on the team, 13 are either seniors or juniors. The Owls look to these players to provide leadership for the team and help the younger players grow.

Despite recent struggles, Frengs said the team can still reach its ultimate goal – winning the A-10 Tournament, which Temple will host this season.

“All of the seniors know that it is our last year, and it is now or never,” Frengs said. “So we just try to get things done and help the team come together.”

The Owls travel next to Olean, N.Y., to face St. Bonaventure on Friday. The Bonnies enter the game with a perfect 3-0 conference record.

Frengs Honored

Frengs was selected to womenslacrosse.com’s honor roll and was named the A-10 co-Player of the Week after she helped the Owls start conference play with a 2-0 record. She scored the game-winning goal against Massachusetts last week, and tallied three goals in the Owls’ next game – a win against Richmond.

Frengs’ 33 points and 28 goals currently lead the team. She is tied for third in assists with five.

Kevin Smiley can be reached at kevin.smiley@temple.edu.