Golden to be named football coach

The search for a new football coach culminates today with the hiring of Virginia defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Al Golden, according to sources with knowledge of the search. The department of athletics has

The search for a new football coach culminates today with the hiring of Virginia defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Al Golden, according to sources with knowledge of the search.

The department of athletics has scheduled a press conference for 2 p.m. to introduce the new coach, though it did not officially announce who it would be. Golden, 36, is expected to be named Temple’s 24th head football coach. The position is vacant following Bobby Wallace’s announcement Oct. 10 that he would not seek a contract extension after eight years at Temple.

Golden, considered the front runner since his name first surfaced two weeks ago, came to terms on contract specifics with director of athletics Bill Bradshaw on Monday night, a source said. A native of Colts Neck, N.J., Golden brings 11 years of experience as an assistant or graduate assistant at Virginia, Boston College and Penn State.

In his first year as defensive coordinator at Virginia in 2001, the Cavaliers were ranked second in the Atlantic Coast Conference and 18th in the nation in takeaways.

Bradshaw declined comment for this report through an athletic department spokesperson.

Interest in the job seemed to have waned after Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Bruce Arians and Notre Dame offensive line coach John Latina removed their names from consideration. Golden and Wisconsin co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Brian White were considered the leading candidates.

Ben Watanabe can be reached at bgw@temple.edu