Golf aims for consistency

Macdonald Cup points out early-season flaws for the golf team during last weekend. The Owls golf team struggled at the Macdonald Cup this weekend, but coach Brian Quinn said he knows his team has the

Macdonald Cup points out early-season flaws for the golf team during last weekend.

The Owls golf team struggled at the Macdonald Cup this weekend, but coach Brian Quinn said he knows his team has the ability to succeed.

Temple finished 10th out of 14 teams at the rain-shortened Macdonald Cup held at Yale in New Haven Conn., the event was only 36 holes rather than its usual 54 due to heavy rains occurring last Friday into Saturday. While the finish may not have been what they were looking for, Quinn said he knows his team has talent.

“I feel were coming around. We have a very young squad and we’re starting to play more consistent golf,” Quinn said. “Our finish was a little rough each day of the event but we have to continuously put ourselves in a position to succeed.”

Sophomore Steve Burak did exactly that, he finished seventh overall firing a 36-hole score of 142. Burak has been a bright spot early for the Owls, but his coach feels that he still has better things to come.

“Steve is a great golfer, for only a sophomore the kid had to grow up very quickly,” Quinn said. “He started off great each day and struggled a bit down the stretch, but he was in position to succeed, which we need consistently.”

Behind Burak for Temple was junior Devin Bibeau and sophomore Matthew Crescenzo who tied for 37th, shooting a total score of 149, respectively. Rounding out the scoring for the Owls was freshman Paul Carbone and sophomore Russell Hartung who shot 152 and 153, respectively.

Quinn said he was optimistic about looking forward, but also realized that many problems need to be addressed before the Owls compete in the Big 5 Invitational Oct. 8-9 at Plymouth Country Club in Philadelphia.

“We are going to work on all aspects of our game this week, the more reps we get, the better off we are,” Quinn said. “We need to find a solid fifth score if we want to be competitive in this tournament, someone needs to come up big, we can’t continue to lose valuable strokes out there.”

Anthony Bellino can be reached at anthony.bellino@temple.edu.