Google IT specialist and alumnus returns to Fox School of Business

Matthew Blumberg explains Google’s condensed Chrome Operating System. On Feb. 18, Matthew Blumberg, a 2005 Temple political science and economics alumnus, visited the Fox School of Business to discuss the future of Google. Blumberg, an

Matthew Blumberg explains Google’s condensed Chrome Operating System.

On Feb. 18, Matthew Blumberg, a 2005 Temple political science and economics alumnus, visited the Fox School of Business to discuss the future of Google.

Blumberg, an information technology specialist at Google, discussed the background of Google, the Chrome Operating System and tips on how to get a job at Google.

Blumberg’s presentation focused on cloud computing – the ability to access all documents from any device in any part of the world.

“Google is the leader in cloud commuting,” Blumberg said. “We are the fourth-largest service manufacturer in the world.”

Blumberg also mentioned Chrome OS laptop, Google’s upcoming model with just a Web browser, which is aimed toward people who use computers exclusively for the Internet. The system is estimated to be released at the end of 2011.

Sophomore international business major Emma Levine said she was a little skeptical about Chrome OS.

“I am actually a little hesitant to have to have all of my information in one place,” she added. “The whole idea kind of freaks me out.”

“Google OS is much more secure – 10 percent of company laptops are stolen a year,” Blumberg said. “With Chrome OS, the machine has no data and is only $200.”

Blumberg added there are 75 Google offices in 25 countries.

Blumberg commented on the way Temple offices are arranged. Instead of the hassle of workers walking to a coffee shop during lunch, Google offices have espresso machines in the buildings.

“You can walk two minutes down the hall, get a cup of coffee with a co-worker, discuss projects and save time,” Bloomberg said.

Maura Lieberman can be reached at maura.lieberman@temple.edu.