Gore and much more

Director Quentin Tarantino has finally moved back into Hollywood’s radar with the release of his fourth film Kill Bill Vol. 1. As usual, Tarantino has enlisted an all-star cast of experienced as well as young

Director Quentin Tarantino has finally moved back into Hollywood’s radar with the release of his fourth film Kill Bill Vol. 1.

As usual, Tarantino has enlisted an all-star cast of experienced as well as young talent which includes Uma Thurman, Vivica A. Fox, Lucy Liu, Michael Madsen, Sonny Chiba and David Carradine.

The storyline of the film is about a former assassin (Uma Thurman) betrayed by her boss Bill (David Carradine) on her wedding day.

After being nearly killed by the brutal beating from her former comrades and a gunshot to the head, Thurman is comatose for four long years.

After waking from her coma she swears revenge on her former boss and his deadly squad of international assassins, played by Liu, Hannah, Fox and Madsen.

The movie is broken in two separate films with the second expected for release in early 2004. The film has an engaging plot with non-stop action and Tarantino’s unique sense of humor.

If you enjoyed his previous films and the site of an insane amount of blood and gore does not turn your stomach, then this movie is for you. As with Tarantino’s previous films, this movie is not intended for children.

The film is shown in Tarantino’s trademark mixed-chronological order, with the ending scene shown in the beginning, the beginning scene shown in the middle and the rest to come in the second film.

The fight scenes are reminiscent of Matrix Reloaded and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Tarantino does a fantastic job of leaving unanswered questions for the next film without leaving viewers completely unfulfilled.

This is perhaps the goriest, bloodiest and most violent film to be released in years. The film becomes so bloody at one point during the film, Tarantino decided to continue the scene in Japanese animation. Halfway through the movie, the site of squirting blood becomes almost comical.

Mystery is also a major theme in the film. During the course of the film, Bill is never shown, only his hand is revealed, similar to Dr. Claw in the cartoon Inspector Gadget.

The name of Thurman’s character is also never revealed during the film, rather it’s bleeped out when said by characters. No background information is revealed on any of the characters in the film with the exception of Lucy Liu’s character.

Characters played by Madsen and Sonny Chiba are shown for only a brief period of time and why Thurman’s character was attacked is also never revealed.

Knowing Tarantino’s past movies, all questions should be answered in volume 2 of Kill Bill. The movie is funny, entertaining and mysterious, leaving moviegoers eagerly awaiting the second installment.

David Cargin can be reached at ghostryter81@yahoo.com

2 Comments