Graduation; Now what?

For the seniors who weren’t prevented form graduating due to financial reasons, unfulfilled requirements or general errors at the hands of Temple, May graduation is quickly approaching. What’s a graduating senior to do? After four

For the seniors who weren’t prevented form graduating due to financial reasons, unfulfilled requirements or general errors at the hands of Temple, May graduation is quickly approaching.

What’s a graduating senior to do?

After four years (or five years, which perhaps is more reasonable) in the collegiate world, the real world’s calling: a world where you can’t conveniently create your own schedule to start after 10 a.m.

However, seniors should be optimistic about the new world and the life that awaits them.

Some seniors may be feeling the pressure of trying to land a job in a shaky economy.

Senior Tasha Harmon’s anxiety perhaps speaks for many.

“It’s hard out there. I’m happy to be graduating, but I’m also scared of what’s to come,” she said.

The uncertainty of what’s to come after graduation is something that all seniors can identify with.

Dr. Chet Rispoli, director of Career Development Services, recognizes the “volatile and uncertain” economy that seniors everywhere are facing.

Last year, college recruitment was down by 40%.

However, he said he feels that the anxiety seniors may feel “should be a motivator” for them to find a job that puts their education to good use.

50% of all available jobs aren’t advertised, so networking is key.

For seniors who still have no idea of what they’re doing after graduation, it’s not necessarily too late.

Career Development offers numerous workshops, resume critiques, self assessments and job binders to help you determine what employment options are available.

Senior Michael Doherty remembered how quickly time went by and what he would do differently.

“If I was as serious about graduating in my freshman or sophomore year, I would have been much more prepared for what lies ahead after I’m out of here,” he said.

One thing many seniors seem to be aware of is how quickly time flies by.

Just yesterday they were freshman trying to learn the confusing configurations of Anderson, and now they’re preoccupied with finishing their time at TU.

We’re all working towards graduating, but often times it seems non-seniors tend to be oblivious of the hard work and preparation that can go into landing a post-collegiate J-O-B.

Time surely zooms, and it’s never too soon to think about career options.

The first semester of the senior year is the optimal time to research perspective employers and perfect a resume, but you can start even earlier than that.

Rispoli said that preparation is key and the career development process begins as freshman year.

“There’s a lot of things that people can do before they’re ready to graduate so they’re in a position to identify [career] options,” he said.

In addition to the services Career Development currently has, in the fall they plan on launching a mentor program that will match students with an interest in a particular area with alumni.

Although seniors may be apprehensive of what’s to come, there are some things about Temple that aren’t to be missed.

Trying to decipher the mystery, beef-like substance at the caf and being shafted with crappy lottery numbers for housing are surely events that seniors will be glad to do without in the real world.

The times at Temple University for most seniors were full of ups and down, but they were all worthy experiences.

The once wide-eyed freshmen are now well prepared individuals who have the capacity to handle whatever life has to offer.

The dedication and hard work has paid off and now it’s time to pay off those loans.

Congratulations to the Class of 2003.

Patirce Williams can be reached at patricew@temple.edu.