Gritty punk quartet leaves behind a musical trail that is worth following.

The Texas-based quartet And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead are bringing their unique blend of sonic destruction and an unruly stage show to Philly’s First Unitarian Church on Friday, with supporting

The Texas-based quartet And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead are bringing their unique blend of sonic destruction and an unruly stage show to Philly’s First Unitarian Church on Friday, with supporting act Erase Errata.

“With force and fire we shall vanquish,” said singer Conrad Keely.

The band is hitting the road in support of their 2003 EP, The Secret of Elena’s Tomb.

The EP is full of distorted guitars and piercing vocals served with a side of in-your-face aggression.

The group formed in Austin, Texas in 1994 and quickly gained an underground following akin to the size of early ’80s underground sensations Sonic Youth and Jesus and Mary Chain.

After amassing a cult-like following, Trail of Dead released two independent LP’s before cutting their major-label debut for Interscope Records.

Last year, the group released Source Tags and Codes, which won hearts with its emphasis on down and dirty guitars and punk angst.

Songs from the album, like “Another Morning Stoner” and “How Near How Far,” showcase the band’s push-pull technique, anchored down by gritty guitars and ethereal dynamics.

“We try to shy away from calling ourselves any particular genre because there’s more of a commonality with all music than there are differences,” said Keely.

Beside their full-throttle noise attack, Trail of Dead has become known for having one of the most unique, not to mention longest, namesakes in the history of rock ‘n’ roll.

Not even the band will divulge the secrets behind the name’s history.

However, there have been some interesting theories and myths, from an ancient Mayan glyph to a reference to a Texas ghost story.

What makes Trail of Dead even more unique is the group’s ability to willingly switch instruments during a performance.

Bassist Neil Busch also lends his talents to guitar, while Keely and Jason Reece pull triple-duty on vocals, guitars and drums.

Hailing from Oakland, Calif., Erase Errata have gained an underground following of their own with their unique mix of synthesized techno beats, shredding guitars and snarling punk ferociousness.

The all-girl quartet – singer Jenny Hoyston, guitarist Sara Jaffe, bassist Ellie Erickson and drummer Bianca Sparta – are turning heads with their emphasis on New Wave grooves and ballsy, no-holds-barred attitude.

The group is joining forces with Trail of Dead to support their up-coming release The Dancing Machine.

The EP is a remix record of four of the group’s hottest tracks.

Trail of Dead will perform at the First Unitarian Church, 2125 Chestnut St., with Erase Errata on April 18.

Call 215-563-3980 for more information.

Dustin Schoof can be reached at schoofy@att.net.