H20 rocks the church

Anyone who attended H2O’s performance at the First Unitarian Church would surely say they had no trouble sleeping that night. H2O’s performance on March 18 was anything but dull. The show kicked off with local

Anyone who attended H2O’s performance at the First Unitarian Church would surely say they had no trouble sleeping that night.

H2O’s performance on March 18 was anything but dull. The show kicked off with local Philadelphia street punks, The Boils. They didn’t have much time to play, but managed to get the crowd moving with their energetic stage presence, leaving the crowd pumped. The stage was then set for the hard-hitting New Jersey rockers, Vision. With their powerful riffs, these old-timers proved that when it comes to rocking, age doesn’t mean a thing. Showcasing many old favorites such as “Close Minded,” their set caused even the most apathetic to get up and raise a fist.

By the time New York natives Most Precious Blood took the stage, the crowd -was more than ready to rock. With their gothic-themed hardcore and their screeching vocals, it was enough to send any grandmother running for the door. But by the way the room was moving, it was safe to say that the kids loved it.

Finally, when New York thug punks H2O took the stage, the crowd began moshing and dancing within seconds. In no time, people of all sizes and shapes crowded around lead singer Toby Morse, screaming their lungs out to all the classics. As the set progressed, people in the audience began climbing the stage and jumping into the crowd as if it was an ocean. From afar, all one could observe was a sea of tattooed arms pumping fists in the air.

H2O followed the “our mic is your mic” policy, especially when playing such songs as “Thicker than Water” and “Role Model.” Playing over 17 songs in less than hour, it was the same high-energy show one has come to expect from H2O.

H2O’s usual set did not change much since the band was not prepared to play any of their new songs. Toby mentioned that fans should be hearing them in the near future. The only difference in this particular live show from previous shows was the lineup. Some were shocked to find lead guitarist Todd Morse missing in action.

In his place was 18-year-old Michigan native Brett Jones.

“I’ve been seeing H2O since I was 11, and they were in a bind,” said Jones. “Todd had to film a music video for another band he is in, so they called me up, and of course I said yes!”

The show ended on a high note when the band played “Guilty by Association”, causing the place to turn into a complete madhouse. Overall the H2O’s church debut was definitely worth the $12, despite a few minor disputes that took place. But as Toby said, “What is a hardcore show without a fight?”

Rosalie Yurasits can be reached at Rosalie Yurasits.