Hamilton looks to contribute more this season

Entering her junior year, Christena Hamilton, known by her teammates as “Hammy” will be asked to play a bigger role this season. With the loss of three starters, graduates from last year’s team, and because

Entering her junior year, Christena Hamilton, known by her teammates as “Hammy” will be asked to play a bigger role this season.

With the loss of three starters, graduates from last year’s team, and because of the new nucleus of freshman on the squad.

“I guess I have to be a big sister to the girls, let them know how things are done in coach camp,” Hamilton said.

Hamilton averaged 5.1 ppg and 3.2 rpg last season coming off the bench and had a standout performance in the women’s NCAA Tournament loss to Iowa Sate, chipping in eight points, four rebounds and one steal in 20 minutes of playtime.

It would be a blessing if she could bring the scoring ability she showed in high school, where she averaged over 20 points a game, to this season after the team lost six seniors and a large bulk of the offense.

Coach Dawn Staley expects Hamilton to use her versatility as her strength to compete against some of the best players in the nation; the Owls have a tough non-conference schedule and needs Hamilton to help defend their Atlantic 10 Conference championship.

A lot of responsibility has been put on the shoulders of Hamilton, but she is only one of several factors for the Owls to succeed.

“I think I can handle it,” she said, “it’s no biggie.”

Hamilton’s role as a “sixth man” off the bench could be upgraded to a starting spot.

The starting lineup for this season has not been announced, but expect to hear a lot of noise from Hamilton this season, as she is ready to step up and play a huge role in this teams journey back to the NCAA’s and the conference championship.

Kenny Waters can be reached at Quietazzkept@yahoo.com