Hard work paying off for lacrosse team

The Temple women’s lacrosse team recently returned from spring training in Florida and, in doing so, has become a better and stronger team in the early season. The Owls’ 4-1 record is proof of their

The Temple women’s lacrosse team recently returned from spring training in Florida and, in doing so, has become a better and stronger team in the early season.

The Owls’ 4-1 record is proof of their hard work.

“Spring training was really helpful for everyone,” senior co-captain Jessica Yemm said last week before a practice on the hot turf at Geasey Field.

“We really molded and came together as a team.”

Although the Owls did not play any official games in St. Petersburg, they scrimmaged against local teams such as St. Joseph’s, Lehigh, Ursinus, Bryn Mawr and Scranton, winning each match.

“Our trip down to Florida has also helped us prepare for the next three weeks, which are going to be tough,” Yemm said.

The upcoming schedule includes matches against Penn State and No. 2 Virginia. Temple defeated Lafayette on the road, 16-5, last Sunday.

Senior Liz Frengs led the Owls with four goals.

Spring training again proved helpful against Penn last Wednesday as Temple came away with a 7-6 win.

Yemm scored a goal and one assist, while junior Tiffany Pulaski lit up Penn’s defense with three goals and one assist.

Sheena Oommen also had a solid day in goal with 16 saves, including a crucial stop with a minute left to secure the victory.

“I’m very proud how the girls came out against Penn, because I expected them to be a bit flat coming out after a long trip to Florida,” coach Kim Ciarrocca said.

“Our objective was to keep the Penn defense moving and confuse their goalie, which we did, so I’m very happy with the outcome.”

The players, like their coach, were ecstatic about the win. T

heir remarks were just a little more comical.

“A win over Penn is great because beating up on smart kids is a great satisfaction,” junior Marie DesMaris said.

The win was also important for the regional rankings. Despite the loss to Delaware, Ciarrocca said Temple will climb in the rankings since Penn had already defeated the Blue Hens earlier this season.

“Our loss to Delaware, in a positive sense, may have been good for us, because the game was a big wake up call,” Ciarrocca said.

“Even though losses are never a good thing, Delaware opened up our eyes a bit.”

“We really needed to get off to a good start, and this win against Penn will help our momentum going into our upcoming games,” junior Mary Fran Stepek said.

“We are really excited about the next few weeks, and are definitely pumped up to play Virginia since they are ranked No. 2 right now.”

David Gunning can be reached at psgunn11@yahoo.com.