Hart names Cornell dean new provost

Following a six-month search, Dr. Lisa Staiano-Coico has been named the university’s provost. The announcement was made by university President Dr. Ann Weaver Hart during her inauguration speech March 22. Staiano-Coico, who is currently the

Following a six-month search, Dr. Lisa Staiano-Coico has been named the university’s provost.

The announcement was made by university
President Dr. Ann Weaver Hart during her inauguration speech March 22.

Staiano-Coico, who is currently the dean of the College of Human Ecology at Cornell University, will assume her role as provost July 1.

“I feel it is a privilege and an honor, and I’m humbled to take on this prestigious
position,” Staiano-Coico said.

Dr. William Aaronson, an associate professor in the Fox School of Business, said Staiano-Coico made a strong impact on the Provost Search Advisory Committee.

Aaronson was one of 13 members on the committee, which was assembled in September
and was responsible for recommending a provost candidate to Hart.

“It was very clear that she stood out among the candidates. Her experience, vision, enthusiasm and track record at Cornell made us believe that she would do the best job,” he said. Staiano-Coico will replace Deputy Provost Richard Englert, who has been serving as interim provost since July. She is also expected to be involved in the selection of a new dean for the College of Liberal Arts.

Hart said in a telephone interview that she has high expectations for the new provost.

“I was looking for a very strong academic
leader who had a strong record and who could set a high bar for the faculty,” she said. Hart also said the faculty members on the search committee commented on how thoughtful Staiano-Coico was during her interview.

“She has a reputation of being very clear and strategic, but very collaborative and a good listener,” Aaronson said.

Vice President of Student Affairs Theresa
Powell, who is also a committee member,
said she was impressed by Staiano-Coico’s enthusiasm for higher education, academic affairs and moving the university forward.

“She brought into the room this fire and was so passionate about the things she talked about,” Powell said. Staiano-Coico’s appointment marks the first time women will serve in the president and provost positions simultaneously at Temple. “It shows how forward thinking and on the cutting edge Temple is,” Staiano-Coico said.

Though many are excited about the precedent, the search committee’s goal was not necessarily to hire a woman.

“We wanted to hire the best candidate
and the fact that she’s a female is great, but we weren’t [specifically] looking to hire a female candidate,” Powell said.

Hart said Staiano-Coico’s high energy will be an asset to the university.

“She will be, I hope, a strong model for women in the math and sciences at Temple. I’m just very pleased that she is going to be here,” Hart said.

LeAnne Matlach can be reached at leannematlach@temple.edu.