Hart’s replacement, new policy, discussed at meeting

Yesterday’s General Assembly meeting left students talking about President Hart’s replacement and TSG’s policies. Student representatives raised concerns about being forced to attend weekly Temple Student Government meetings at yesterday’s General Assembly meeting. The new

TSG_News_9.19_AndrewThayer_2
ANDREW THAYER TTN. Temple Student Government leaders discussed attendance at Saturday’s football game against Penn State and President Ann Weaver Hart’s resignation at yesterday’s General Assembly meeting.

Yesterday’s General Assembly meeting left students talking about President Hart’s replacement and TSG’s policies.

Student representatives raised concerns about being forced to attend weekly Temple Student Government meetings at yesterday’s General Assembly meeting.

The new protocol comes after TSG announced that student groups that want to collect appropriations must send a representative to weekly meetings. TSG now has students check-in before the meetings, which prolonged yesterday’s meeting by approximately 15 minutes.

Last year, TSG did not require students to come to the meetings, but strongly encouraged it.

“This is your opportunity to really, really make a difference,” TSG Student Body President Colin Saltry told the approximate 200 student representatives who came.

But some student representatives said they don’t find the practicality within the new rule.

Education major and Her Campus representative Shanee Satchell said the meetings—and especially the speakers—are great for Temple students. But, she said, mandating student representatives has become excessive.

“I don’t know if it’s necessary that we’re here every week,” Satchell said. “I don’t know if it was important for me to be here.”

“It’s time out of my schedule to come and sit through a meeting where a lot of information isn’t relevant to me,” added senior public relations major Kurie Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald also suggested that emails would be a suitable alternative and possibly more efficient.

During the meeting, Vice President of External Affairs Elliot Griffin said TSG will be holding its final “Welcome Wagon” event this evening at Park and Susquehanna streets at 5:15 p.m., where they will distribute recycling bins and fire alarms.

TSG also said they sat in the Board of Trustees meetings last week. They hope to complete Gateway South residence hall project in Fall 2013.

Gabrielle Nichols of Pride and Tradition reported that last weekend’s football game against Penn State had a record-breaking student attendance of 11,000. The next home game is Saturday, Oct. 1, at which they hope students will wear pink for breast cancer awareness. Saltry said the amount of students was a great thing to see, but said there were some things Temple should not celebrate.

“I’m sure some of you saw the T-shirts out there,” he said before he read letters that were sent to President Ann Weaver Hart’s office.

One letter said the T-shirts were an example of “classlessness” and “poor sportsmanship.”

“I know we’re better than this. You know we’re better than this,” Saltry said.

After TSG finished its presentation, students made announcements.

Senior musical theatre major R.J. Magee asked if there are any updates for the search of a new university president. Saltry said students have input, but replacing the university’s president is “the big thing” for the Board of Trustees.

“They’ll start narrowing down résumés and see who’s qualified. Then they’ll appoint a selection committee with students, faculty [and] professors,” Saltry said. “The goal is to have it completed by June for the new president.”

In regards to Hart’s 20/20 plan, Saltry said the signature plans are still going strong but, “I don’t know the long-term future of the plan.”

Matthew Petrillo can be reached at mattp@temple.edu.