HEALTH BEAT

Finals are approaching quickly. We all need to take care of ourselves to ensure we’re well rested, healthy and prepared for exams. During finals, everyone tends to stay awake all night with the intentions of

Finals are approaching quickly. We all need to take care of ourselves to ensure we’re well rested, healthy and prepared for exams.

During finals, everyone tends to stay awake all night with the intentions of doing well on their tests. Although everyone’s intentions are to do well, they’re neglecting their bodies.

Lack of sleep, poor nutrition and dehydration are some things that can adversely affect your performance on exams. Although getting enough sleep seems impossible during this time of year, it can be done. When studying, try not to stay up all night. Power naps are a good way to stay energized and focused.

In the Dec. 2000 article of Essence entitled, “Tired All The Time” by Patricia Mason Woods, this idea is reiterated. Alex A. Clerk, M.D., of Stanford University’s Sleep Disorder Clinic in San Francisco says, “Lack of sleep stifles concentration and weakens our immune function.” If your concentration is broken, you may not do as well as you’re capable of doing.

During those late night study sessions, most students chose to snack on cookies, chips and soda, although a better alternative would be fruits. Fruits supply longer-lasting energy than snacks that contain lots of fats. Kenneth B. Singleton, M.D., a physician in Washington, D.C., says, “Simple carbohydrates boost your energy in minutes, but the feeling fades within an hour or two. Poor nutrition slows your metabolism and leaves you feeling sluggish.”

Dehydration is not something a lot of students are aware of, but it happens easily. Your body weight is approximately 60 percent water, which is lost through breathing, sweating and skin evaporation. This explains constant tiredness because your heart’s working harder with less water in the body. Singleton suggests drinking 8-12 glasses of water and to cut down on cofee, soda and alcohol. These cause more frequent urination and a loss of body fluid.

Finals week is approaching and everyone wants to do well. Using these tips will get you started in the right direction. Remember, sleep, lots of water and fruits will give you much more energy for those inevitable late nights. Good luck.