HEALTH BEAT

I’m sure everyone has had an occasional bout with unsightly pimples. I know I have. As a matter of fact, when I was in middle school, I used to get a pimple every winter on

I’m sure everyone has had an occasional bout with unsightly pimples. I know I have. As a matter of fact, when I was in middle school, I used to get a pimple every winter on the tip of my nose. Talk about ugly!

Thankfully, as we all grow older, those disgusting, self-esteem-lowering blemishes begin to fade, but why wait around for that miracle to happen? Everyone has better things to do than sit around and pick at his or her face all day.

Skincare experts agree on three products that help attain and maintain healthy skin: a cleanser, a toner and a moisturizer.

In an article titled “Great Face” in the August 2000 Honey magazine, dermatologist and author Nicholas Pericone said: “Using a powerful cleanser, full of detergents [on the wrong skin type] causes more irritation. Washing your face twice a day with a mild cleanser is sufficient.”

Marcia Cole, a contributing writer for Honey said, “Steer clear of alcohol-based toners and astringents, which disrupt the natural balance of your body’s oil distribution process.”

The skin care regimen is not complete without moisturizer. Experts say moisturizers tend to fade dark spots and minimize pores, therefore improving the overall appearance of your skin
.
Personally, I don’t know how my face would look if I hadn’t found Neutrogena skin products, because they really work for me. There’s a soap, which should be used according to your skin type, whether it be regular, oily or dry.

Then there’s the Oil-Free Acne Wash and my personal favorite, the Clear Pore Treatment. Dianne Abang, a certified esthetician and owner of Lady Dee’s Day Spa & Skin Care Studio in Beverly Hills said, “The secret to beautiful skin all the time is maintaining a simple and consistent beauty regimen.”

In addition to using the cleanser, toner and moisturizer, here are some helpful tips to getting, and maintaining healthy skin.

1. Avoid picking pimples. Picking or squeezing pimples can lead to scarring.

2. Do not over-cleanse your skin. Washing the skin too often can leave the skin stripped of moisture and overly dry.

3. Avoid using unsanitary sponges or unclean hands to remove makeup. This can cause serious skin irritation and may be conducive to future breakouts.

4. Avoid using products that are unsuitable for your skin type. Doing this will not benefit you, because the product may be working on a problem you don’t have, and vice versa.

5. Do not apply makeup to an unclean face. Basically, you are depositing chemicals on top of dirt that is already on your face. No good.

A great face can improve your physical appearance and boost your self-esteem.

We all know that a pretty face is more appealing and inviting than one covered with pimples. The hard part is changing bad habits, but once you keep up regular maintenance and start to see a difference, you’ll begin to love the skin you’re in.