HEALTH BEAT

I’m surprised to know some people who want to go through this safe, but sometimes deadly operation called liposuction. I was speaking to a friend last week who made the decision to have liposuction. When

I’m surprised to know some people who want to go through this safe, but sometimes deadly operation called liposuction.

I was speaking to a friend last week who made the decision to have liposuction. When I asked what her reasons for doing this were, she replied, “Because my stomach is out of control.” Originally, I thought that this was an upper-middle class procedure, but it’s quickly becoming a common practice.

In an October 2000 article by Jenna Richardson in Marie Claire magazine “I Lost My Daughter to Liposuction,” it says liposuction is the most popular type of cosmetic surgery in the United States. Although it is extremely popular, one in every five thousand people dies from liposuction. Although this statistic may seem quite small, the risk is still present.

People, to rid themselves of unwanted fat, use liposuction. In today’s society thin is “in”. Anyone who is not thin may be seen as undesirable. The decision one makes may not be the healthiest; more people are getting this procedure done every day.

For instance, Abbie Jones explains, “23-year-old Lisa Marie Marinelli underwent the procedure to shed less than one pound of fat; instead, it took her life.” Kathleen Marinelli says of her daughter, “One minute Lisa was sitting up and talking to me and in a matter of minutes she was dead.”

This is a real problem that needs to be addressed. Before considering liposuction, there are some factors to take into account.

1) Laurie A. Cosas, M.D., a spokeswoman for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons says, “Liposuction is most effective, if you are the average weight for your height and have firm skin with pockets of excess fat, instead of all over excess fat.” That’s to say if there are areas with a lot of fat, liposuction is not for you.

2) Artification is key, because Lisa Marie’s doctor, Dr. Geffuck, did not have the extensive training of a board-certified plastic surgeon. Casar says,” Be aware that other doctors can be qualified to perform liposuction through various seminars.” Be cautious and knowledgeable of the doctor’s education and expertise.

3) Know the risks. As the amount of fat being removed increases, the risk of complications increases. Possible problems may include: infection, formation of fat as blood clots and excessive fluid loss, which can lead to shock.”

Liposuction has become increasingly popular among people of all ages and races. Having knowledge of the concerns that liposuction brings should be addressed to ensure your health and safety.