Help out this holiday season

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, providing a perfect opportunity for students to volunteer and reach out to the Philadelphia community. Various area organizations are sponsoring a number of volunteer events this holiday season, from

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, providing a perfect opportunity for students to volunteer and reach out to the Philadelphia community.

Various area organizations are sponsoring a number of volunteer events this holiday season, from toy drives to food donations.

Temple’s Office of Student Affairs is hosting a toy and book drive through Dec. 5. They are collecting new, unwrapped toys and new or used books.

These donations can be dropped off in the Office of Student Affairs, 402 Conwell Hall. For more information, contact 215-204-7188.

The American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter is offering a variety of ways for people to help this holiday season. Their primary goal is to help victims find relief and get back on their feet.

For more info, visit www.redcross-philly.org.

Whether working with children, the elderly or simply donating items to a drive, the United Way is an organization gathering thousands of volunteers across the region.

Their volunteer Web site, www.VolunteerWay.org, offers individuals an opportunity to choose what they would like to do with their time.

The Share Food Program is one way that students can give their time to help those in need. In the past, this organization has made about 20,000 meals during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

The program runs throughout the year, but November and December are its busiest months, according to Volunteer Coordinator Gail Johnson.

Johnson said they are looking for volunteers to help bag food items on Dec. 13 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. They also need volunteers to help put together Christmas packages Dec. 15-22. If interested in volunteering, contact Johnson at 215-223-2220.

The Little Brothers-Friends of the Elderly of Philadelphia is looking for volunteers to pack and deliver Christmas baskets. From setting up a holiday party to helping with the baskets, there are a variety of ways for students to help.

“There are several different things they can do,” said Assistant Executive Director Gingie Pope Eagan, as he stresses the importance of volunteering. “Right after Thanksgiving, we need volunteers to make phone calls to help setup transportation to and from the Christmas party.”

If interested, contact Eagan at 215-765-8118. In order to volunteer, prepare to give your name, phone number, address and a reference outside of the family.

Kitchen Helper is a year-round organization needing volunteers for office work, delivering meals or working the kitchen.

“More help is needed in the kitchen [during the holiday season],” Press Relations Manager Amber Kealey said.

If interested, contact Volunteer Coordinator Kim Bickel at 215-496-2662 ext. 113 or visit www.mannapa.org.

There is a wide range of volunteer opportunities for students to take advantage of this holiday season. If you unable to donate time this holiday season, many of these programs run throughout the year.

Hannah Davis can be reached at hdavis@temple.edu