Here to ‘pump you up’

Gaining weight at college has become so typical, it has received a common nickname: the freshman 15. Now, college students have an additional dilemma: keeping the freshman fifteen from becoming a senior 60. In addition

Gaining weight at college has become so typical, it has received a common nickname: the freshman 15.

Now, college students have an additional dilemma: keeping the freshman fifteen from becoming a senior 60.

In addition to managing schoolwork, finances and socializing, students must find ways to stay fit and healthy in a society where Americans keep getting fatter.

Fortunately, Temple University offers a variety of fitness options, programs and facilities.

The IBC

The Independence Blue Cross Student Recreation Center, free for students, is fully equipped with cardiovascular equipment, weights, fitness areas, outdoor courts and an indoor track.

Certified instructors lead group fitness sessions six days a week from 8:10 a.m. to 8:15 p.m.

The IBC, located at the corner of 15th Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue, is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Dormitory Fitness Centers

To provide a more convenient workout, most on-campus dormitories maintain their own fitness rooms.

The rooms, accessible to residents, include cardiovascular and weight-training machines.

Outdoor Fitness Areas

For outdoor fans, the 1500 block between Montgomery and Norris has multi-purpose turf fields, a grass football field and a six-lane quarter mile track with a synthetic surface.

The area is open to the public most of the day.

The Student Pavilion

The Student Pavilion, located at 1901 North 15th St., hosts numerous activities including basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis, indoor soccer, indoor flag football, indoor golf driving and outdoor tennis.

Sports Clubs and Intramurals

Students do not have to join an official University sports team in order to play at Temple.

Temple’s Department of Recreational Services runs sports clubs that vary in competitiveness.

Intramural sports are open to all students.

The programs offer students the opportunity to form their own teams, make new friends and have fun.

Returning intramural player, Jeremy Straight, advocates the program’s combination of organization, mixed with fun.

As a sophomore this year, Straight plans to return to the intramural football and volleyball scene.

Philadelphia

More than anything else, Temple students need to take advantage of the city.

Besides the obvious jog down Kelly Drive or the “Rocky” climb up the Art Museum steps, the city offers other creative fitness options.

Instructors teach classes for almost any activity including dance, karate, Pilates and yoga.

Even Temple University Center City offers non-credit courses that range from belly dancing to kick boxing.

If shopping is what the mood calls for, places like the Gallery, South Street or Center City can be a convenient excuse for a walk.

Ice-skating at Penn’s Landing raises the heart rate during the colder months.

The late night scene has many options as well.

After all, dancing is a great cardiovascular workout.

For more information on Temple’s Fitness facilities and programs, log on to www.temple.edu/recsvcs/.

Kiana Harris can be reached at kiana111@temple.edu.t.