HERspace visual arts festival showcases women’s ideas

Art organization Philly Art Collective hosted the HERspace Women’s Art Festival, a one-night event promoting emerging Philadelphia women artists, on Saturday at its gallery on 3rd Street in Old City. The event gave female-identifying people

Art organization Philly Art Collective hosted the HERspace Women’s Art Festival, a one-night event promoting emerging Philadelphia women artists, on Saturday at its gallery on 3rd Street in Old City. The event gave female-identifying people a platform to express themselves and market their work.

“The Philly Art Collective has a special interest in groups that are oppressed in the arts,” said Christine Loveless, the event curator.

Martell Oliver, the creator of HERspace and founder of Philly Art Collective, said his mother and sister, who are both artists, inspired the exhibit.

“There’s so many different facets of being a woman that I haven’t even thought about that somebody else has brought forth in their art, so it’s sort of like all together we are facets of womanhood,” said Kaitlyn O’Neill, a neuroscience graduate student who showcased her portraits of women at the event.

Josephine Figlia, a 2012 international business and marketing alumna and visual artist who showcased a painting at the event, said the current feeling of disempowerment among women sparked the event.

“With art, I feel like it happens more when there’s something to talk about,” Figlia said.