Hillel hosts kosher dinner for the Tuttlemans

Each month Temple’s Hillel Foundation invites a distinguished guest from the Temple community to share their Shabbat services and dinner. This month Edna and Stanley Tuttleman and Board of Trustees member Ed Rosen were invited

Each month Temple’s Hillel Foundation invites a distinguished guest from the Temple community to share their Shabbat services and dinner.

This month Edna and Stanley Tuttleman and Board of Trustees member Ed Rosen were invited to share in the Shabbat services.

Shabbat takes place every Friday night beginning at sundown and continues until sundown on Saturday. Shabbat begins with the lighting of candles, symbolizing the beginning of a day of rest and relaxation while coming together as a community.

“The Shabbat services and dinner are a way to bring the community together, at the same time allowing our guests to see how Temple Hillel is expanding. We’ve really worked to stress a welcoming environment [that is] open to all,” said Hillel adviser Ken Krivitsky.

In the past the group has had elite guests such as President Adamany and Temple beneficiary and Board of Trustees member Richard Fox.

Krivitsky said all interested students are welcome to attend, regardless of their religious background.

Since the organization stresses such a welcoming, the Shabbat services have really grown over the last few years.

Krivitsky recalls a time when there were only seven to 10 people at the dinner. Now they may serve as many as 40 to 60 students.

“We’ve really come a long way since I’ve been here,” said Hillel member Jason Samuel, a junior. “It’s really growing and we have a lot of great upcoming leadership.”

Temple Hillel is conjoined with Multi-Campus Hillel and each week a different school from the sector hosts services and a dinner. Some of the other schools involved are Arcadia, Penn State Abington, Philadelphia University and Drexel.

Hebrew songs and readings, provided by guitarist Ross Loaman, enliven the service.

Student volunteers, who have catering or food service experience, prepare a dinner of Jewish delicacies. Those dining can choose from couscous and kugel, as well as chicken and vegetables or soup and salad.

While the organization looks to celebrate Jewish heritage and beliefs, it also stresses the importance of community involvement.

The Tuttlemans are avid supporters of the Temple community. Mrs. Tuttleman was Temple’s student body president from 1938-1942 and is a benefactor of Temple and other surrounding schools.

“I’m very proud of my wife and her school. We were extremely happy to share in a most pleasant evening with Temple Hillel,” Stanley Tuttleman said.

Ed Rosen, who is a member of the Board of Trustees and his wife usually attend the services once a semester. He stressed the importance of student leadership in the program.

“My wife and I are very impressed with the Hillel program and we will continue to do everything we can to support them,” Rosen said. “We love sharing in the beautiful program. The Tuttlemans spend for everything that’s good at Temple. They are great people to have in the community and we’re proud to have them as part of the Temple family.”

Jenn West can be reached at jwest002@temple.edu