Hitters lead Temple

Navy’s defense was challenged by Temple hitter’s Saturday afternoon. As a team, Temple posted 41.2 hitting percentage and three of the Owls’ players had a kill percentage greater than 50 percent. Junior middle blocker Kristen

Navy’s defense was challenged by Temple hitter’s Saturday afternoon.

As a team, Temple posted 41.2 hitting percentage and three of the Owls’ players had a kill percentage greater than 50 percent. Junior middle blocker Kristen Overton was successful on 75 percent of her attacks, while senior setter Sandra Sydlik and junior outside hitter Tyler Davis were successful on 60 and 55.6 percent of their attempts, respectively.

Overton converted all eight of her attacks in the last two sets..

“They didn’t put as many blockers on me so I was able to hit with more options,” Overton said. “I also transitioned a lot faster.”

The Navy defense started out strong, but Temple found success varying shot types.

“Once you get blocked a couple times you start mixing up your shots,” Overton said. “And that’s really the game of volleyball mixing up shots.”

Sophomore outside hitter Irem Asci led the team with 13. Second on the team was Davis, who totaled 11 kills on 18 attacks.

For the game, Sydlik accumulated 39 assists, more than Navy’s team total of 21. She also got involved in the attack, throwing off the Navy defense by sending the ball over the net on the second hit tallying three points on quick kills.

“It feels good, feels good for our confidence as a team,” Sydlik said. Then when asked about mixing up some as attacks she responded,” I’m trying to help the hitters, but it’s also pretty annoying to the other team.”

Kevin Schaeffer can be reached at kevin.schaeffer@temple.edu