Hockey falls to Montclair State

The ice hockey club lost to Montclair State 8-4 Sunday at the Flyers Skate Zone.

Montclair State University defeated Temple 8-4 at the Flyers Skate Zone Sunday, handing the Owls their third consecutive loss.

“I think we showed heart today,” coach Roman Bussetti said. “I think we battled. We had a couple bad bounces go against us and they cost us a couple goals. I think we outplayed them in the third period. We outshot them in the third period and kept working.”

The Owls (2-5) and the Red Hawks combined for 75 penalty minutes, 24 penalties and each team had a player ejected in the third period. Defenseman Ryan Dumback left the game with a hand injury in the 10th minute after being slashed by a Red Hawks player. 

“They’re a chippy team,” Owls forward Stephen Kennedy said. “Most northern teams are like that. It’s just the style up there. It’s fun to play against, but it’s also tough to play against.”

After Montclair State scored the game’s opening two goals,  defenseman Jason Lombardi scored a power-play goal with just over seven minutes remaining in the first period to put the Owls on the board, 2-1.

“We had a five-on-three and I think Pat [Hanrahan] shot it and it kicked off the glass perfectly right to me coming down and I had a wide open net, so all I had to do was tap it in,” Lombardi said.

The Red Hawks scored three goals in the second period, including two from left wing Samuel Enright.

Temple’s second period was also marred by infractions and turnovers, as they committed four penalties in the frame.

At the start of the third period, Bussetti pulled Hayden Richards, who got the start for Scott Salmon, replacing him with the Owls third-string goalie Zach Burkhardt.

The lineup change initially sparked Temple, as forward Joey Powell scored a minute into the third period, but Montclair State responded with three goals in the final period.  

Kennedy scored two goal in the third period and forward Joey Powell scored the Owls’ fourth goal in the final minute of play.

“It shows that we have character and battled, but that’s not going to win you games all the time,” Kennedy said. “We have to be a unit at all times, but it’s good to see we still had fight, even though we were down three or four. I think that’s a plus and hopefully we can take it into next weekend.”

Stephen Godwin Jr. can be reached at stephen.godwin@temple.edu or on Twitter @StephenGodwinJr