Hollywood Hot Topic

More celebrity woes … Natalie Portman, along with actor Aki Avni and a film crew, had their production disrupted last week when they were chased away by an angry mob while shooting on location in

More celebrity woes … Natalie Portman, along with actor Aki Avni and a film crew, had their production disrupted last week when they were chased away by an angry mob while shooting on location in Jerusalem. The actress and her co-star were filming a kissing scene near the Wailing Wall, a place of prayer for people of Jewish faith. Portman was regretful that she had upset anyone.

“I really don’t want to offend anyone’s beliefs or impose anything on anyone and it was a mistake to do it,” Portman said in an interview with Access Hollywood.

The scene was being filmed for a movie called Free Zone.

Katie Holmes and Chris Klein have broken up, ending their engagement. They’ve been engaged since 2003, and have had a steady, low-profile relationship. One of Holmes’ publicists says that the couple will still be friends despite the split.

Jennifer Lopez endured a different type of attack at the New York premiere of her new album Rebirth. She has been the subject of controversy due to her tendency to not only wear fur, but to also use it in making clothes for her new fashion line called Sweetface. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals were on hand at the album premiere to protest J.Lo’s fashion sense, considering it just another part of animal cruelty. PETA, who refers to her as “fur scum” has created an online video of Lopez wearing fur clothing spliced with footage of animals being slaughtered for their fur. The animal rights organization has sent information and videos to Lopez protesting her clothing choice, but has gotten no response.

To wrap up with some good news in Hollywood, the 77th Academy Awards was two weeks ago, with Chris Rock hosting the event. The biggest winner of the night was Clint Eastwood’s Million Dollar Baby which won for best picture. Hilary Swank won best actress for her performance in the film, Morgan Freeman won best supporting actor, and Eastwood got best director. Jamie Foxx beat out Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp in the best actor category for his leading role in the film Ray about the life of musician Ray Charles. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind took the Oscar for best original screenplay.

Lisa Thompson can be reached at lisa526@temple.edu.