Hollywood Hot Topics

It’s official. The girl who got her start with …Baby One More Time is about to have a baby of her own. After much tabloid speculation, it was revealed last week that Britney Spears is

It’s official. The girl who got her start with …Baby One More Time is about to have a baby of her own. After much tabloid speculation, it was revealed last week that Britney Spears is pregnant. According to People Magazine, Spears is about four months into her pregnancy, and has been concealing it until she could personally make the announcement herself on her fan Web site. Spears and husband Kevin Federline released the following message: “The time has come to share our wonderful news that we are expecting our first child together…Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.” The father-to-be already has two children with ex-girlfriend Shar Jackson.

Federline and Spears will also have their romantic life in the spotlight more than it already is. After keeping video diaries of their relationship while they dated, became engaged and got married, the couple has sold the footage to UPN. The network will air the videos as a six-part reality series sometime next month. According to Access Hollywood, Spears is trying to pull one over on the tabloids and divulge the truth about her relationship on her own terms.

Just as Billy Joel is completing his month-long rehabilitation at the Betty Ford Center, Joaquin Phoenix has checked himself into an unknown rehab facility for his own alcohol-related problems. Phoenix’s publicist said that the actor took it upon himself to seek help for his alcohol abuse two weeks ago. Another one of his representatives explained that Phoenix was “uncomfortable with the way he was living his life” and therefore made this decision to enter rehab, according to Entertainment Weekly. His late brother, actor River Phoenix, had substance-abuse problems of his own, and died of a drug overdose in 1993. Phoenix’s latest role is playing Johnny Cash in the film Walk the Line that addresses the late musician’s alcohol abuse problems. With such issues affecting his own life, Phoenix is taking precaution to control his alcohol problems.

With all the celebrity-based reality shows on TV, there doesn’t seem to be room for any more. But a celebrity game show? Well that’s another story. If you don’t think Hollywood Squares gives you enough time to enjoy watching stars shine on the small screen, then you have Celebrity Charades to look forward to. Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank and her husband, actor Chad Lowe, are developing the new game show based on their own favorite party game. The Hollywood Reporter says that the show will premiere on June 20 on the AMC channel. Lowe will host Celebrity Charades, which will air for at least six episodes. Upcoming guests include Hank Azaria, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Ana Gasteyer. The contestants’ prize money will be donated to a charity of their choice.

Lisa Thompson can be reached at lisa526@temple.edu.