Hollywood Hot Topics

Domestic jailbird Martha Stewart is planning her comeback. It’s been reported by NBC that Stewart will team up with business mogul Donald Trump for a new spin on his hit show. It will appropriately be

Domestic jailbird Martha Stewart is planning her comeback. It’s been reported by NBC that Stewart will team up with business mogul Donald Trump for a new spin on his hit show. It will appropriately be titled The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. Plans to develop the show actually began before Stewart was incarcerated, but her prison time seems to have had no effect on the project. Trump said that he’s always admired her, and described Martha as “a very brave woman” and thinks the show “will be an absolutely tremendous success.” Stewart has been serving a five-month sentence at a West Virginia prison as a result of her conviction of lying about sales of stock in the company ImClone Systems Inc. The domestic diva is prohibited from contributing ideas to the show while she is imprisoned, but she’ll have a predicted hit show waiting for her upon release from prison early next month.

In other television news, the women of Desperate Housewives have a new neighbor on Wisteria Lane: the queen of daytime herself, Oprah Winfrey. It all started after a skit was produced for an episode of Oprah. Desperate Housewives creator and executive producer Marc Cherry thought it would be a great idea to include a scene specially made for the episode of Oprah’s show which was to feature interviews with Terri Hatcher and the rest of the cast. Cherry invented a character just for Oprah, involving her in the lives of the other housewives. Even though Oprah has wanted nothing to do with acting since the 1998 flop of her movie Beloved, she enjoyed working with the cast and producers so much that it persuaded her to reconsider going back to the profession once again.

Cherry said working with the talk show host was a great experience was and he expressed his willingness to do anything of Oprah’s interest. Maybe we’ll be seeing Oprah drop by Wisteria Lane once again.

“It is funny and one of the greatest things I have done, I tell you,” Oprah said of working on Desperate Housewives.

Desperate Housewives also made news last Saturday at the 11th Annual Screen Actor’s Guild Awards, being recognized with the Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Award. The cast of CSI took home the award for Best Drama Series. Jamie Foxx was honored with the award for Best Male Performance in a leading role for his portrayal of Ray Charles in Ray. Hillary Swank nabbed the award for Best Female Performance in a leading role in Million Dollar Baby and Morgan Freeman was recognized as the Best Supporting Actor for the movie as well. The Outstanding Cast Performance went to the actors from the well-received comedy Sideways. Whether or not the outcome of the Screen Actor’s Guild Awards will be a good predictor for the Oscars has yet to be seen.

With Valentine’s Day soon approaching, hot Hollywood couples will surely be going all out for the most romantic day of the year…with the exception of Kate Bosworth and Orlando Bloom. The famous pair broke up after almost three years of dating. Their representative Robin Baum says that it was a mutual decision. Apparently both of their upcoming filming schedules will be keeping them apart, and neither feels that sustaining their relationship under such difficult circumstances is a good idea at this point. Both Bosworth and Bloom kept their romance very private, rarely allowing themselves to be subjected to the paparazzi like some other famous couples so often are. Despite their split, they are said to still be close friends.

It used to be that the only way to get a celebrity’s autograph was to meet him or her face to face in the likely spots of Los Angles or New York City. Now EBay can get the job done for you, but if you’re still up for getting one the old-fashioned way, you might be interested to know who will oblige and who will turn you down flat. According to Autograph Collector Magazine‘s 13th annual “Top 10 Best and Worst Signers” list, it is very unlikely that Britney Spears will grant you a signature, as she is the No. 1 worst signer. But have a run-in with Johnny Depp and he will probably be more than happy to sign his name, being at the top of the list. The list was compiled by a “Who’s Cool and Who’s Cruel” survey that was done by Autograph Collector recently. More “worst signers” include Leonardo Dicaprio, Justin Timberlake, Cameron Diaz, Eminem and Paris Hilton. While these stars aren’t so people-friendly, there are still those celebrities who appreciate fans. Among them are Tom Cruise, Mike Myers, Angelina Jolie and Elijah Wood. The complete list of the best and worst will be featured in the March edition of Autograph Collector Magazine. Maybe pick up your own copy if you’re planning an awesome spring break next month; that way you’ll know who’s worth stalking and who to steer clear of.

Lisa Thompson can be reached at lisa526@temple.edu.