Homecoming a laughing matter

The Liacouras Center will host the “Mike Epps Comedy Tour” this Friday as part of Homecoming 2003 festivities. Considered one of America’s most up-and-coming young comics, Mike Epps has already appeared in several feature films

The Liacouras Center will host the “Mike Epps Comedy Tour” this Friday as part of Homecoming 2003 festivities.

Considered one of America’s most up-and-coming young comics, Mike Epps has already appeared in several feature films and comedy tours. He co-starred with Ice Cube in Next Friday and Friday After Next.

He has appeared in How High with Redman and Method Man, All About the Benjamins and was also the voice of Sonny in Dr. Dolittle 2.

Epps is starring in Fighting Temptations, a comedy featuring Cuba Gooding Jr. as an advertising executive who starts a gospel choir in Georgia with Beyonce Knowles as his lead singer. Fighting Temptations is in theaters now.

Despite his newfound movie star status, Epps belives his success began and continues with his stand-up comedy. Between television appearances and filming movies, Epps continues to tour the country.

Growing up with his mother and eight siblings in Indianapolis, Epps learned to get attention by using his witty personality. He was given the class clown title by classmates long before he realized his comedic talent.

“I was a comedic actor as a kid and didn’t know it, but I was practicing it!” he said.

After recognizing comedy as his creative outlet, Epps changed his lifestyle to accommodate his future plans. He perfected routines at the local clubs until deciding to increase his audience and move to Atlanta. His first regular gig was at the Comedy Act Theater.

With a growing reputation and audience approval, 21-year-old Epps decided to take his act to the next level.

Once again, Epps relocated. He caught a Greyhound bus to New York City and began working the club scene there.

Success wasn’t as easy. A big fish in Atlanta, Epps was a guppy among thousands of aspiring artists hoping to catch a break in the larger pond that is New York. In 1995, Epps caught his big break.

Accepting an invitation to join the “Def Comedy Jam Tour,” Epps took his act on the road. He also starred in two HBO Def Comedy Jam specials. The television appearance catapulted his fame.

Epps is currently out of the country filming a movie, but will soon take time off to sate his fans in the United States.

His current show features two other well-known comedians. Lavell Crawford, from Showtime at the Apollo and Def Comedy Jam veteran Kenny Howell will join Epps at the Liacouras Center.

“The Mike Epps Comedy Tour” visits the Liacouras Center Oct. 10. Tickets range from $26.50-$37.50, and are available through Ticketmaster or the Liacouras Center Box Office.

Discount student tickets, $20 a piece with a two ticket limit, can be purchased in room 320 in the Student Center.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu.