Homecoming week raises glass of cheer to students

It’s sad when students associate spirit with booze before pep rallies, but this year’s Homecoming Committee plans to change that. But first, it had to change seats. For the first time ever, a student-run organization

It’s sad when students associate spirit with booze before pep rallies, but this year’s Homecoming Committee plans to change that. But first, it had to change seats. For the first time ever, a student-run organization is running the show and is giving out shots of school spirit all week. Temple’s Homecoming Committee has worked with many organizations on campus to give you a good reason to get out of bed for next week’s events. These are just a few events offered during the action-packed week. For a complete list, check out its Web site at www. temple.edu/homecoming: Saturday, Oct. 21
1Kk Hhelp For a Day (9 a.m. -4:30 p.m)

Homecoming kicks off with students leaving their homes for various sites of North Philadelphia in need. A record of more than 1,000 students is expected to travel in groups to these sites.

“It’s a great opportunity to make a large impact,” said Nicolas Bardoutsos, service chair of the event. For five hours students will perform services such as cleaning up parks and visiting soup kitchens. The volunteers will come back to campus for a barbecue and a closing ceremony.

“There’s nothing better than working with other Temple students to make the community better,” Bardoutsos said. Interested students can sign up in the Temple Student Government office in Student Center room 244 until Oct. 20, or on the day of the event at the Bell Tower at 9 a.m.

Sunday, Oct. 22

Sleep (All day) In your bedSave your energy for a full-throttle week filled with fun, food, giveaways and memories.

Monday, Oct. 23
Dinner Auction (7 p.m. – 10 p.m.)
The Student Center Underground

If you have plans to date a married man or woman, this is the time to do it. Temple athletes and administrators – married and single – are volunteering themselves to be auctioned for charity. On that list of brave individuals includes Dean of Students Ainsley Carry, who will be leaving Temple to fulfill a position next month at the University of Florida.

“It sounds like fun,” said Carrissa Burgmayer, a sophmore music major.

The couples will head over to the Draught Horse and have a three-course dinner, complements of the homecoming committee.

All proceeds from the auction will go to the Coaches vs. Cancer program and the Dawn Staley Foundation.

Tuesday, Oct. 24
Fall Fest (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Main Campus

The annual street fair is very hard to miss, occupying Liacouras Walk, the Bell Tower and 13th Street. The day promises dozens of organizations and vendors offering information about themselves, food, fun activities and giveaways.

Homecoming Pageant (7 p.m – 10 p.m.)
Student Center, room 200

With a “New TU” theme this homecoming, there is certainly something new about the royal court this year. This is the first homecoming pageant for Temple. Sophomore Nadine Mompremier, royal chairperson of homecoming, said the pageant gives voters a forum to meet the candidates. The royal manor also gets a little more crowded with the addition of a few royal members. Candidates with less than 24 credits will vie to become Temple’s first homecoming prince and princess. In typical “American Idol” fashion, students can vote online on the homecoming Web site.

A valid Temple e-mail address is required to access it. Students can rock their votes Tuesday at 7 p.m. to Friday at noon.

Wednesday, Oct. 25
Athletic Cookout (4 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
Student Center Atrium

You are invited to a giant victory party! Err … but there is no game. But the food and DJ will make you forget about that fact. Seize the opportunity to meet the athletic team coaches, eat and dance with them and, of course, grab whatever “party favors” they are giving away.

Thursday, 26

Vince Papale and “Invincible” (7 p.m. – 10 p.m.) Student Center room 200He was a high school substitute teacher with a dream. Never giving up on his goal to play professional football, Papale began to fly with the Philadelphia Eagles and will soon land at Temple. “I think it’s great to meet someone who took a chance at his dream,” said Tremaine Ward, a sophomore civil engineering major. Inspired by the journey of Papale, Ward said he might “just try out for the Temple basketball team.”The former Eagle will be visiting Temple Thursday. Catch the chance to hear him speak, ask him questions and – provided you don’t offend him – take a picture with him. He will also be showing a free viewing of “Invincible,” the movie based on his life. Eagles merchandise can be won, but hey, popcorn is going to cost you.

Friday 27

Greek Showcase (6:30 p.m.)
McGonigle Hall

Temple’s fraternities and sororities are putting on a talent show. Witness attempts
at dancing and singing for $3 in advance or $5 at the door.

Saturday, 28
Tailgate (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Lincoln Financial Field, parking lot K

Getting into the spirit takes time. To prepare for the big game, Owl fans are meeting in the parking lot. There will be food, games, giveaways and public acts of drunkenness, the latter not endorsed by the Homecoming Committee. Temple vs. Bowling Green (1 p.m.) Lincoln Financial FieldIt’s war of the birds as the Owls play host to the Falcons. The Homecoming Committee has come up with the motto “50,000 in the Linc” to motivate people to come support the football team. Never have that many people attended a homecoming game.

“It’s our motto not just for this year,” Mompremier said, “but for future games as well.”

The Roots Concert (7 p.m. – 11 p.m.) McGonigle

The Philadelphia-based hip-hop group will perform in front of 3,400 fans. Those that arrive early will have first dibs on sitting an afro-pick’s length away from ?uestlove, the Root’s drummer. Tickets are currently on sale for $15 at the Student Center Box Office located in the lower level of the Student Center, and at the Student Activities Office at Ambler Campus.

Anne Ha can be reached at aha.263@temple.edu.