Honors students test new 1300 learning community

On Monday, Oct. 17, a converted study lounge in the 1300 residence hall on Cecil B. Moore will become the university’s first classroom in a residential hall. Similar to living-learning communities, the new classroom will

On Monday, Oct. 17, a converted study lounge in the 1300 residence hall on Cecil B. Moore will become the university’s first classroom in a residential hall.

Similar to living-learning communities, the new classroom will be located on the third floor of 1300. Because the 3rd floor of the residential hall specifically houses honors students, the classroom will be used only for those students.

Many students, even 1300 residents, don’t know what the new classroom will change, but are looking at it positively.

“I see it being a very positive influence in that you can learn where you live,” Ian MacDonald, a freshman, said.

This model can be seen in slightly different forms in many other schools around the country. At NYU, there is a form of living-learning communities within the residence buildings.

Some students worry about increasing traffic within their own residence while not actually benefiting educationally.

Wendy Borst, a freshman who lives on the third floor of 1300, said, “It might be a good change, but the traffic could be a problem. I know lots of other schools do it and they work out models for traffic control first.”

At the University of Vermont, students can apply for a program that allows them to be involved with a living-learning community. The eventual goal at Temple is a much larger program.

A spokesperson from the office of Residential Life said, “We believe in living-learning communities and hopefully, if this is successful, we’ll see the entire campus move towards this in the next couple of years.”

The head of the Honors Program, Ruth Ost, hopes that the change will benefit students.

“This study lounge was not being used and as such. This is a good change,” Ost said.

She also noted, “Our plans are to try this here first and see how it goes. This is a prototype, not a final choice.”

The classroom-study lounge will become an active classroom following a ribbon cutting ceremony.

Benjamin Gilbert can be reached at BGilbert@hotmail.com.