Illusionist David Blaine’s mind missing in action

So far, the only thing David Blaine has made disappear is his mind. His latest stunt, in which he starves himself for 44 days while suspended in a box over London’s Thames River isn’t magic.

So far, the only thing David Blaine has made disappear is his mind. His latest stunt, in which he starves himself for 44 days while suspended in a box over London’s Thames River isn’t magic. It’s torture.

Blaine is only allowing himself water, lip balm, a pen and journal, a makeshift bed and, of course, diapers while in his torture box. The only thing more ridiculous than a starving man in a box is a starving man in a box wearing Depends until Oct. 20.

For Blaine, chapped lips should be the least of his worries.

What will he write about? Forty-four pages of “Dear Diary, I’m hungry” is not going to make the best-seller list.

He shouldn’t get anything but the water. And he should only get that once a week.

Police stand guard outside of his box because people attempt to sabotage his stunt. But they shouldn’t arrest the people throwing things at his cage.

A person who is actually starving is forced to see people eating all the time, and Blaine’s situation shouldn’t be any different.

Blaine’s encouragement: people are showing up to watch.

What he doesn’t realize: most people just point, laugh and then go out for food with friends.

People have been taunting him since the beginning of his stay, Sept. 6, throwing eggs at him and holding barbeques below his cage.

Helicopters have dangled food above him, and one man even tried to cut off his water supply.

Blaine deserves the torture, but I’m sure he welcomes the challenge. After all,, his reason for self-starvation is to see how long he can go without food.

The fact that he’s in a box only makes it easier for him not to eat. If he really wanted to prove himself, he would do it without the spectacle.

Lock him in a McDonalds for 44 days, and see how long he can make it.
The reasons for his stunts are purely selfish. He’s not proving anything other than his own abilities.

His 15 minutes of fame have been up ever since he froze himself in a block of ice. Now, the only thing he is proving is his own stupidity.

There are people in the world who are starving, but Blaine is doing it by choice. It’s not amazing. It’s annoying and pointless.

It costs a lot of money to keep Blaine stocked with supplies and suspended over the river. The policemen protecting him have to be paid, too.

Why not use that money to feed a few starving people for 44 days?

Marea Kasten can be reached at Temple_News@hotmail.com.

3 Comments