Immaturity in teens is biological, according to Temple researcher

There is biological evidence for immaturity in teens, according to Laurence Steinberg, a psychology professor at Temple, who is recognized for his expertise on the psychological development during adolescence, Using the metaphor, “teenagers have brains

There is biological evidence for immaturity in teens, according to Laurence Steinberg, a psychology professor at Temple, who is recognized for his expertise on the psychological development during adolescence,

Using the metaphor, “teenagers have brains with a good accelerators, but weak breaks,” Steinberg dubs the weak breaks, and the frontal lobe of a teenager, analogous. Additionally, Steinberg draws the connection between violence and impulsive action, while attributing a lack of impulse control to the teenage brain.

“A lot of violent behavior is not planned,” Steinberg said. The frontal lobe in the brain of a teenager is underdeveloped, and consequently Steinberg said teenagers are more likely to be violent, because most acts of violence in teenagers are impulsive.

The work of Steinberg and other professors was cited in a 2005 Supreme Court decision to expel capital punishment for offenders under the age of 18. Steinberg said the age 18 is essentially nefarious, because research shows that development continues until a person’s early 20s.

“Law is not on the basis of what science tells us to do.” Steinberg said. “Older is better, but it would prove difficult to change the law. No one would approve of changing it to 19 or 16.”

Steinberg said methods of punishment should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis based on whether this is the offender’s first offense, and whether it was a violent crime or not.

Rayan Chatila can be reached at tua84629@temple.edu

2 Comments

1. This is all great and al but come on! You cannot just simply Say crap like this! You cannot know why teenagers do the things we do unless you are one. Like me I’m 16 in a highschool that on the outside looks nice and genta…not even close. Fighting is a major thing in school. Almost like howanimals fight for dominace we teenagers do the same thing. Who ever can beat the most people up gets the most respect. I am a nerd myself so I don’t get into to many fights. I got in 3 all highschool and for our school…thats nothing! There is fights almost every day weather in the parking lot, Cafe, Hallways, One even hapend in the office! Stealing is another thing that lots of us like to do because its a thrill! Drugs…What doo you think? Duh drugs are huge in my school. And I don’t even do them and I know tons of people who do them or did them. Some who grow them! Bullying is normal in our school. We get piced on and don’t bother going to the office. I tried that and it didn’t work to well. At All. That started one of my fights. You want to know the truth about teenagers then talk to me. Grayslake North Highschool! Thats the place. Its heaven for possible learning and hell at the same time. For more info email me. Thank you.

2. i think this article is very good. im a junior in highschool, and i am a reporter in my school’s newpaper. i did one article in my blog on my website about the “dissatisfaction of beauty” alot of people loved it and im very proud of myself as a good writer especially about teenagers like myself. but my next article for the schools newspaper and my blog is about teens who are immature and how it messes things up for others. i think this artic;e helped me and inspiried me. 🙂