International Education Week

Beginning Nov. 18, Temple University, along with numerous other college campuses and agencies across the country, will celebrate the third annual International Education Week. As a joint effort of the United States Department of Education

Beginning Nov. 18, Temple University, along with numerous other college campuses and agencies across the country, will celebrate the third annual International Education Week.

As a joint effort of the United States Department of Education and Department of State, International Education Week is designated to commemorate multiculturalism and international education.

Sponsored by the International Programs Office and the Office of International Services, many events and contests are planned to “promote international education exchange and cultural awareness.”

During the week, International Programs will host the annual International Photo Contest.

The contest is open to entries from students, faculty, staff and administrators.

The photographs will be on display in the International Programs office.

The photographs, which can be in color or black and white, will be from the photographer’s travels abroad, and will be selected and judged in the categories of “people” and “places.”

Also in celebration of International Education Week, International Programs will sponsor its first travel writing contest.

The writing contest consists of two separate categories: essays and poetry.

The essays are submitted by students on the topic of “international experiences,” and up to three poems can be submitted by a student, which also must be inspired by an international experience.

The essays and poems will be judged by a committee of Temple professors, International Programs staff and selected Temple students.

The winners will receive prizes and may have their work published in various Temple University and International Programs publications.

Along with the contests, there will be a reception with faculty and administration and an information session titled Destination Japan on Nov. 21 at 10 a.m.

Originally instituted by the Clinton Administration in 2000, International Education Week celebrates all cultures by emphasizing mutual understanding, respect and trust.

In a statement released by Secretary of State Colin Powell, he wrote that education is “a positive path that can lead to a more secure future for all citizens. As we work to end the scourge of terrorism, let us also work to increase peace, prosperity, and democracy.”

He said this can be accomplished “through international programs that promote the exchange of ideas and the sharing of experiences.”

A similar message was echoed in a statement released by Rod Paige, the Secretary of Education.

“International education not only promotes mutual understanding and cooperation among nations,” said Paige, “it can also strengthen national security, foreign policy, and economic competitiveness.”

According to Paige, “each of us is an ambassador when we interact with our global neighbors.”

Thus, Paige said, a solid education that “includes the skills [needed] to succeed in a global context, is essential.”

For more information about the scheduled events and contests of International Education Week go to www.temple.edu/studyabroad.

Obaid Siddiqui can be reached at Osiddiqu@temple.edu