‘Interviews’ a hit

“Brief Interviews with Hideous Men,” a 1812 Productions play adapted from a book of short stories, provides an in-depth look into the minds of men and their fascination with women. The 1812 Productions temporary theater,

“Brief Interviews with Hideous Men,” a 1812 Productions play adapted from a book of short stories, provides an in-depth look into the minds of men and their fascination with women.

The 1812 Productions temporary theater, located at 525 S. 4th St., looks like nothing more than an old warehouse tucked away in an alley.

Through the front doors and down into a basement draped in black curtains, folding chairs were neatly lined in rows. The stage consisted of a platform with a stool and two chairs.

In the play, two men alternately played characters, each speaking to an unseen interviewer. They responded to a ringing bell, which symbolized a different question regarding their thoughts on women.

The sketches evoked laughter and applause from the audience. One unnamed character spoke of how he attracted women by making light of his deformed arm. Although it may not seem to be comic material, it was actually a hilarious new look at courting rituals.

Most of the skits were comedies, but the writers did manage to incorporate some serious topics. However, sensitive issues like rape and murder were not well received. They seemed oddly placed within the context of humor.

Despite a few downfalls this 90-minute production entertained both men and women in the audience.

For more information, call the 1812 Productions Box Office at (215) 592-9560.

Casey Kockler can be reached at cnicole@temple.edu.