Iraq or bust

By passing off speculation as fact, President George W. Bush deceived most of the American public with his State of the Union Address. We can all sleep soundly knowing that the United States “possibly” has

By passing off speculation as fact, President George W. Bush deceived most of the American public with his State of the Union Address.

We can all sleep soundly knowing that the United States “possibly” has support from “several” countries in its war with Iraq.

Bush claims that 23 nations will support the war in some form, but he will not name names.

However, the international community is reacting, and voicing its opinions – sort of – about the possibility of war.

The eight European countries that back Bush’s war aims – Britain, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Poland and Portugal – were brave enough to announce their support in a united letter published in two major newspapers.

Some of them are even offering troops or supplies if the United Nations gives Bush the green light.

Twenty-one countries will allow the United States access during a war (possibly out of fear of economic retaliation, or being next on our military hit list).

But, France, Germany, China and Russia (for now) flat out disapprove of this war. And we all know where North Korea stands.

The fact that the international community is so divided over war suggests a weak alliance during a worldwide crisis.

Iraq could easily persuade many nations to turn against the United States through equal threats of devastation.

The United States would be blamed, and international relations would be shattered for years to come if they haven’t been already.

The uncertainty of the international community further proves that Bush lacks skills in foreign policy.

Whether they support Bush’s war on Iraq or not, most countries are waiting for the U.N.’s final decision, and Bush should be doing the same.

Iraq’s nuclear weapons pose as much of a threat to the rest world as they do to the United States.

So, why is Bush the only leader so adamant about war?

British Prime Minister Tony Blair convinced Bush to rally support for a war with Iraq, but such diplomacy was futile.

Bush and his administration are not interested in the approval of the U.N., let alone the countries that could offer support.

With the economy in the tank, Bush needs war credit to win reelection in 2004.

Bush is becoming “The President Who Cried War,” but the international community isn’t going to come running every time he wants to arrogantly flaunt his power.

Unfortunately, this is a lesson that may have to be learned the hard way.

Marea Kasten can be reached at mareak@hotmail.com.