Italian Market breaks trendy chains

Villa Di Roma restaurant serves up delicious Italian food with real South Philly flair. Located at 936 S. 9th St. in the heart of the beloved Italian Market, Villa is the quintessential Italian eatery. With

Villa Di Roma restaurant serves up delicious Italian food with real South Philly flair.

Located at 936 S. 9th St. in the heart of the beloved Italian Market, Villa is the quintessential Italian eatery. With a no- frills approach, they serve the most flavorful dishes made with the freshest ingredients.

Paintings depicting the early days of the Italian Market hang on the walls as Frank Sinatra softly croons in the background.

Then a sassy yet classy waitress comes to take your order. She’ll bring you a nice glass of Chianti with a side of sarcasm.

You’ll get a menu, you won’t need one because there’s a list of entrees hanging on the brick wall in front of your face.

Will it be linguini with clam sauce, or veal scaloppini? Whether you order the chicken sicilian or neapolitan, you will be happy with your choice.

Want a more traditional meal? Try your alfredos and parmesans and you’ll be sure to come back for more.

When you go to Villa Di Roma you get a taste of the Italian Market, literally. There’s a cheese shop a block away, a butcher across the street and a produce stand for your eggplant parmesan and escarole. With ingredients this fresh, the flavors are out of this world.

The smell of garlic, basil and oregano will make your mouth water as soon as you enter the restaurant. Everything is authentic, like your mamma used to make.

Remember this place is an old standard for South Philadelphians so it’s bound to be filled with locals any night of the week.

The bar in the front of the restaurant usually crowded with Ninth Street neighborhood stool-warmers, but there’s plenty of room for newcomers looking to “conversate” about Philly’s latest sports crisis.

Recently an additional dining room was added, making your chances of getting seated on a Saturday night even better.

However, bring some cash. Food this good is worth the moderate price, and they don’t take plastic. You can call for reservations, except on Saturdays when you can expect a bit of a wait.

With all of the Olive Gardens and Maggiano’s out there, you’re probably longing for some real Italian fare. If that’s the case, then Villa Di Roma is the place to go.

Don’t forget to save room for a cannoli.

Milli Protheroe can be reached at bobhope@temple.edu